Which Gravely to Buy - ZT XL-48 or ZT HD-48

BigUgly

Forum Newbie
Threads
New to the forum.....I have looked around and researched for months and have decided on a Gravely ZTR. My choices have been narrowed down to the XL-48 and the HD-48. I will be

mowing approximately 2 acres. I know the design differences between the two units which accounts for the price difference. Given my sole use (residential), will the XL-48 be enough mower where I can expect good

dependability (with proper care & maintenance) or do I spend the extra bucks for the heavier duty model? Would I be spending the extra money needlessly for heavier construction peace of mind?

All feedback is welcomed. Thanks.

BigUgly

Forum Newbie
Threads
It appears that I am on my own here.

Ragnar4841

Threads
I looked at both and the XL seemed a wee bit too lightweight for my 2 acres. It also felt small to me (I'm 6'3") as the levers would hit my knees when fully forward. And the seat felt like a cement block.

To me the HD seemed worth the extra money--I wanted something that would last and that I would be happy with for the long haul. My view is that I'll quickly forget the $800 or so difference in buying the HD, but I'll be reminded every time I went out to the XL wishing I had bought the HD.

All that said, I really liked the HD and researched it thoroughly--it was a tough call but I went with a Kubota for reasons I've covered in the Kubota Kommander forums.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
It appears that I am on my own here.

I agree with user Ragnar4841....I love my Gravely, but I was less than impressed overall with the XL series specs & build. Strictly a homeowner model that should be for < 1 acre yards only. The ZT HD is definitely your best choice for your needs and well worth the extra $!!

BigUgly

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to all for your responses. The dealer was able to line up the XL & HD side by side for a physical comparison. The extra money for the HD was apparent in the overall design and construction. Specifications listed in the sales literature are only on paper, but seeing them in person was the deal maker. I purchased the HD, have taken delivery, and immediately put it to its intended use. It was a great ride, resulting in a great cut, and it took 1.5 hours less than my old lawn tractor.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks to all for your responses. The dealer was able to line up the XL & HD side by side for a physical comparison. The extra money for the HD was apparent in the overall design and construction. Specifications listed in the sales literature are only on paper, but seeing them in person was the deal maker. I purchased the HD, have taken delivery, and immediately put it to its intended use. It was a great ride, resulting in a great cut, and it took 1.5 hours less than my old lawn tractor.

Welcome to the growing Gravely clan on the forums. You are gonna love mowing the yard now!!!! You made a wise choice upgrading to the HD which is as close to commercial quality as you will find in a Residential ZTR. When you get the time, post a picture of your new machine(we wanna see it:0)