How to re-install the guard springs on a Honda Harmony?

brainwashed

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / How to re-install the guard springs on a Honda Harmony?
We apparently lost a retainer on the rear guard retaining rod that the guard pivots on and retains the guard springs that hold the guard in place.

Can anyone explain how to reinstall the springs? For the life of me I can't tell how to reinstall them and actually have the guard held in place. Any pictures or advice would be a huge help. I searched the forum and googled the issue and can't find any pictures of how the springs should be in the mower.

Thank you

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
We apparently lost a retainer on the rear guard retaining rod that the guard pivots on and retains the guard springs that hold the guard in place.

Can anyone explain how to reinstall the springs? For the life of me I can't tell how to reinstall them and actually have the guard held in place. Any pictures or advice would be a huge help. I searched the forum and googled the issue and can't find any pictures of how the springs should be in the mower.

Thank you

Got a serial number? I can get you a diagram.

lmserialnumber_zps63822669.jpg

brainwashed

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Robert

HRX217TDA
MAGA-1140751

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
First, recognize there are two springs that apply force to hold the guard (rear door) down, and there is a LEFT and RIGHT one. Might need a helper with locking pliers to hold them in position as you install the shaft. If the push nuts that install on each end are damaged or bent, you many need new ones. Here's the diagram from both the shop manual and parts catalog that should get you going.

If you need any parts, just Google any part number to find a Honda Dealer selling it online, or use this link to find a Honda Dealer in your area: Find A Honda Dealer

hrxreardischarge_zps56873d52.jpg

hrxreardischargguardparts_zps7159f7e1.jpg

brainwashed

Forum Newbie
Threads
Big help. Thanks!

I've got it all threaded together, but I am not seeing where the spring sets against on the mower to tension it. For the life of me I don't see how to tension the spring...

Have any tips on what I might be missing?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
There needs to be a little pre-load applied to each spring as it is installed. Here are left and right images of how it looks when assembled. The "J-shaped" end must thread through the slot in the door, while the other end presses against the mower deck.

IMG_0881_zps1df7513d.jpg

IMG_0882_zpse27a61e5.jpg

brainwashed

Forum Newbie
Threads
To preload the spring do I just wind it a bit before installing the guard door? I think that's what I'm having an issue with.

The springs are threaded through my door, but not loaded at all to keep the door closed. This just allows the door to flop loosely.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
To preload the spring do I just wind it a bit before installing the guard door? I think that's what I'm having an issue with.

The springs are threaded through my door, but not loaded at all to keep the door closed. This just allows the door to flop loosely.

I've not actually done this, but can see the issue. Some thoughts:

1. Try installing the springs and rod without the door first, then position the door so the J-tips are just inside the holes on the door. Hold everything steady, remove the rod, move the door in to the final position, re-install rod.

2. Install the spring washer on one end of the long rod before trying to install the rod through all the holes.

3. Probably need a helper to keep everything in position when the rod is installed...

When correctly installed, the door should be held against the deck with slight tension when fully closed.

brainwashed

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks again Robert, I'll give it a shot tonight.

LawnTom

Forum Newbie
Threads

Thank you

Take the springs and place that part in the body of the mower then insert the part that goes in the guard. You need to do one side at a time. You can move the guard up and down so you can position the springs. Before you install the rod place one of the push nut bar retainer clips on it. Then insert the rod. To attached the push nut on the other side you need to make sure the rod does not move. I took a piece of wood and placed it on the rod's end and pushed it against my shed so it would not move. It is impossible to hold with you hands so use that approach to secure. The tap the push nut on with a hammer by tapping on alternating sides. Took me about 10 minutes and about 2 hours to figure out how. Good luck.