8 HP Snapper wont start plug is wet. B&S Model 191702 Pull Start Please help

308GTS

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 8 HP Snapper wont start plug is wet. B&S Model 191702 Pull Start Please help
Hi guys I am new here and I bought a Snapper last year. I have always wanted one. It is a 8HP B&S engine Model 191702, Type 6040-01 Code 91011510. It started last December but took several pulls to start it. I pulled the cord 70-80 times today and it tries to start but mainly spits back through the carb. I pulled the plug and it was wet. I cleaned it and tried to start it and it would almost start. Any ideas or tips. When it is running it runs great and mows perfectly. Any tips or things to check would be great. Thanks.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / 8 HP Snapper wont start plug is wet. B&S Model 191702 Pull Start Please help
Carb needs cleaned sounds like your float is stuck open flooding your engine

308GTS

Forum Newbie
Threads
THanks so much. So take it apart, clean with carb cleaner, take off float cover and check it, put it back together and see what happens?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Carefully take it apart remember where everything goes use a tiny nail or paper clip to clean out holes with carb cleaner and blow out with air to finish put it back together

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Replace the spark plug

lzn197

Threads
I usually, check the oil, drain the fuel, add in some fresh then pull the air cleaner and give it a short spray of carburetor cleaner (as starting fluid) and try to see if it will run. If it does, and it's running lean, I choke it with my hand to see if it improves. Then you can get a quick idea of the engine (knock, oil burning ETC) condition and go from there. Don't forget to remove the shroud and check for mouse nests. I hope that helps.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The man pulled the starter rope 80 times. He just might of flooded the engine??? start small Spark plugs are cheap, replace it not clean it.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I usually, check the oil, drain the fuel, add in some fresh then pull the air cleaner and give it a short spray of carburetor cleaner (as starting fluid) and try to see if it will run. If it does, and it's running lean, I choke it with my hand to see if it improves. Then you can get a quick idea of the engine (knock, oil burning ETC) condition and go from there. Don't forget to remove the shroud and check for mouse nests. I hope that helps.

I though you gave some very good ideas here.

lzn197

Threads
I though you gave some very good ideas here.

It is very common for small engines to be sitting for months on end. Old gas does not want to burn, hence the wet plug he spoke of in this thread. So I get the old stuff out of there so you can know what you have (good or bad machine, no spark,compression). Most times, mowers will have some sort of small problem and folks give up on them and shove them into the corner of the shed for years. The important thing is to get past the old fuel and see what other problems you find. 90% of the time it is fuel related I have found. The spark related problems are usually bad coils, plugs or a shorted or open kill circuit.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have found once a spark plug has shorted out internally its junk. spark plugs are cheap replace them. I keep a extra spark plug on hand for each of my engines. Myself I just replace them once a year along with filters and oil. I also buy 12 fuel filters at a time and install them on everything with a engine. pull that starter rope 80 times, not me, maybe 3,4 times and I would be looking for a reason its not starting.