HRX217HYA with grinding noise

Joeyg023

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought the Honda HRX217HYA I went to use it today and I noticed with the blade off the self propelled feature has a slight grinding noise. It still does it with the blade on, but you don't notice it as much. I used to have a older model with the smart drive and it never made this kind of noise.

Joeyg023

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does anyone with this mower know if this is normal for this model. Sounds like its coming from the transmission area.

Threads
Does anyone with this mower know if this is normal for this model. Sounds like its coming from the transmission area.

I know that when I first got my HRX there was a different sound than I was used to when the drive was on, but that was just because the NeXite deck sounds different than a steel one. But I don't think there should be a grinding noise.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I find a grinding noise means bad bearings. As a mechanic I pick up on that type of noise hear it.

lzn197

Threads
I've heard the noise and that deck seems to amplify it. If the machine passes the "spin the tire on pavement" test and you know all of your cables are adjusted properly, I would leave it alone. But if you want to pursue tearing out that transmission, you are in for QUITE a job.

First thing I look at is rear tire wear or does it have brand new tires (new tires meaning the previous owner changed them because they were bald). Drive tire wear is your "poor mans" hour meter.

Also, Those machines tend to get old grass and string wound around the axles and that causes some slight binding. I fixed one last summer that had about 12 feet of thread wrapped around the shaft.

Joeyg023

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys ill keep a eye on it and see what happens. The mower is brand new out of the box so nothing should be wore out. It's definitely just a noise I'm not used to hearing. I'll wait and see if it goes away or gets worse.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Spray some spray lube on the gears and the dares inside the wheel bet it'll fix it

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks guys ill keep a eye on it and see what happens. The mower is brand new out of the box so nothing should be wore out. It's definitely just a noise I'm not used to hearing. I'll wait and see if it goes away or gets worse.

You should have some warranty (4 years) remaining, so I'd quickly get it a Honda dealer for a full inspection and evaluation. If the noise is due to a factory defect, Honda would usually cover the cost of repairs under warranty. I say quickly because dealers area already starting to get backed up for service work.

Use this link to find a dealer in you area that's authorized to provide Honda warranty service:

Find A Honda Dealer

Joeyg023

Forum Newbie
Threads
You should have some warranty (4 years) remaining, so I'd quickly get it a Honda dealer for a full inspection and evaluation. If the noise is due to a factory defect, Honda would usually cover the cost of repairs under warranty. I say quickly because dealers area already starting to get backed up for service work.

Use this link to find a dealer in you area that's authorized to provide Honda warranty service:

Find A Honda Dealer

So should the transmission have any sound coming from it? I can take it somewhere or swap it out from a new one since it's only a couple days old. Just want to make sure it's not a normal sound. It's a mix of a grinding sound and vibration sound. Any self propelled motor I've used. All you ever hear is just the motor.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
So should the transmission have any sound coming from it? I can take it somewhere or swap it out from a new one since it's only a couple days old. Just want to make sure it's not a normal sound. It's a mix of a grinding sound and vibration sound. Any self propelled motor I've used. All you ever hear is just the motor.

Really hard to say what is actually making the sound (belt, guide, internal part?). If you bought from Home Depot, they will just exchange. Take it to a Honda Dealer for possible warranty repairs. If nothing else, a trained tech at the dealer would be able to tell you if the sound is "normal' or not.