Best Advice for a Healthy Lawn

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Now that spring is just around the corner, it's the perfect time to consider the most important factors to keeping a healthy lawn. Is it your watering schedule? Your blades or cutting method? Is it your method for mulching and fertilizing?

Whatever your secrets are, please tell us your tips for maintaining a healthy lawn! :smile:

I'd like my lawn to look like this one posted by Lawndoctor:

Attachments

• grass.jpg
    grass.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 68

possum

Threads
It is because I am so good looking my lawn tries to imitate me.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is because I am so good looking my lawn tries to imitate me.

Wow, that must be nice---minimal effort! Now if only the rest of us had that kind of charm... :wink:

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sharp blades, cut weekly and no less than 1/3 of the grass heigh to promote new roots.
A little dethatching or areating along with a 4 steps fertilizer wouldn't hurt.

X-man

Threads
Make sure your blades are sharp, mow weekly, and don't cut it too short. Sometimes in the spring I have to mow my own lawn twice a week.

I don't water my lawn since I have better things to pay for than a high water bill.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Make sure your blades are sharp, mow weekly, and don't cut it too short. Sometimes in the spring I have to mow my own lawn twice a week.

I don't water my lawn since I have better things to pay for than a high water bill.

You should look at your bill closely watering your lawn doesn't actually cost much. In the summer my water bills goes up $15 a month. But my utility bill goes from $92 to $110 at least up here we only spend like $5 per 3000 gallons of water according to my bill. It's the company that tacks on water service charge per 1000 gallons. Water treatment per 1000 gallons (my water isn't even treated we have an aquifer) and other bs charges lol

Proper ph balance achieved by correct fertilizer. Proper watering technique. Sharp blades, clean mower, cut at 3" once a week, and watch that sunlight your lawn needs a healthy mix of direct and indirect sunlight for the best green you can achieve.

As for weeds spread corn gluten meal on your lawn once a month keeps weeds away and birds love it.

rustyblade

Forum Newbie
Threads
Corn gluten meal for weeds??? Can you give more info? Like how much to use? Do you only put it on the weeds?

Have you ever heard of using a certain type dish washing liquid on lawns to keep the gnats or skeeters away?
Thanks for the other info.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Corn gluten meal for weeds??? Can you give more info? Like how much to use? Do you only put it on the weeds?

Have you ever heard of using a certain type dish washing liquid on lawns to keep the gnats or skeeters away?
Thanks for the other info.

Put the stuff in a fertilizer spreader and spread it all over the lawn! It must be done real early to not kill the young grass blades that are going to grow.

Dish washing soap works well on indoor plants that have gnats. I guess it could work on the lawn.

lawnbarbers

Threads
Corn gluten meal for weeds??? Can you give more info? Like how much to use? Do you only put it on the weeds? Have you ever heard of using a certain type dish washing liquid on lawns to keep the gnats or skeeters away? Thanks for the other info.
Scotts corn meal is what I use on all my lawns...depending where your located will depend on application...in north bay Ontario Canada I apply twice a year usually end of April and again in august..your timing has to before weeds go to seed...corn gluten won't let a seed germinate. It works great when other around don't do anything to their yards..