Toro ss4235 cutting out when handles pulled in - video

wrdabney

Threads
  • / Toro ss4235 cutting out when handles pulled in - video
When I pull the handles in on my mower to disengage the brake and drive it keeps cutting off. This is happening more frequently lately but has been happening for a while. Any idea what could cause this? After a while of letting it run and keep trying it will work. See video of symptoms.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like a safety switch. I would check those are working properly

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As said it is probably a safety switch. The two I would check first is, the seat safety switch and the parking break switch, in that order.

wrdabney

Threads
As said it is probably a safety switch. The two I would check first is, the seat safety switch and the parking break switch, in that order.

Thanks guys. The seat safety switch has been temporarily bypassed because I was having some issues with it before with the blade engagement. The cutting off issue did about the same thing before I bypassed the seat safety switch and after so it can't be that. Any idea where the parking brake safety switch is on this mower?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry, I was thinking of a different unit. Your's does not have a parking brake. I'm now thinking it is either the kill relay or the PTO switch. How old is this unit, they have not been out that long?

wrdabney

Threads
Sorry, I was thinking of a different unit. Your's does not have a parking brake. I'm now thinking it is either the kill relay or the PTO switch. How old is this unit, they have not been out that long?

It's a 2011. I don't think it's the PTO switch. I have recently replaced it when I was dealing with the blade engagement issue and it was doing the same thing with the old switch.

wrdabney

Threads
I'm looking for the kill relay on the wiring diagram and not seeing it. Can you point out where I can find this? Thanks.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your kill circuit is not standard, but looks to be handled by the Brake Actuator.

But looking at the video, it almost seems that the engine is shutting off because the fuel solenoid is shutting off, unless the Brake Actuator accounts for the delay.

Just to test, unplug the kill wire going to the ignition module and see what happens. Also, take a test light, and turn the key to ON, and test for voltage, you should have voltage at the B,I, R, A posts, if not, then the keyswitch is acting up, of course also check both sides of the fuses.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Why not? The fuel solenoid would account for the delay. I am not saying that the solenoid is bad, but is what is making the engine shut down.