Toro ss4235 cutting out when handles pulled in - video

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Toro ss4235 cutting out when handles pulled in - video
Firstly Rivets was a technical teacher, not a TORO employee, don't go blaming him.
If the problem was not resolved and had been properly documented by the dealer then the warranty continues till the problem is solved, that is consumer law and fairly well universal world wide.

Your mower has a parasitic load on it and the usual culprit is a diode in the charging wire or the rectifier.

We all understand you dissappointment & frustrations, however if you want help resolving your problem then ask for it.
If you just want to vent then go over to face book with all the other wingers.
This forum was set up to help people fix problems they have with their mowers not to vent their spleens.

Your problem was not a design fault or even a very common fault.
If it was there would be 10,000 posts about the fault and the best you could do was to dig up one from 2014 .

ME thinks your real problem was with the dealer who was recharging the battery then fobbing you off rather than chasing up the cause.
And yes if your is fitted with the electronic brake module they will not work under voltage.
This is a safety feature , not a design fault.
Most PTO's will not work at 10V and many relays require 11 or 12 v to trip .

JStevenP

Threads
I'm not blaming anybody but toro I only came to this forum to see if someone found a solution that toro hasn't found. I am not comfortable with working on the electrical system. 5 trips to the dealer and on that last visit it included a toro rep from their Ohio plant and still not resolved. its not my desire to vent,I'm just extremely frustrated. So I will make this my final thread.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That’s OK Bert, I’ve been called far worse. If this guy understood electrical systems, charging systems in particular, as well as he professes, the problem would have been solved long ago.

He starts by hyjacking a 4 year old thread, then he starts a rant which you must read multiple times to understand he is not trying to help the OP, but posting his problem. Is he looking for help—???? Does he provide us with unit and engine model numbers so we can understand what he is taking about——NO. Does he give us any tangible background on what has been by the dealer or himself to fix the problem——NO. He probably is still using the unit, without resolving the problem, just keeps replacing batteries. If he would post numbers I could send him instructions on how to troubleshoot the problem, but he may also may need instructions on how to use his analog meter.

I’m willing to bet we are not getting the whole true story here or the dealer he takes it to understands charging systems as much as he does. We will hear back from him saying we don’t know what we are talking about and just trying to protect equipment manufacturers. No, I doubt I’ll do any more replying unless he gets personal, although it might be fun to see if I can make him look a little more foolish.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I do wonder some times, particularly as Toro went to great lengths to educate people how the electrical system works by publishing the Demystification guides.

While isolating the actual problem can be tedious there is nothing in the wiring that a 12 year old would not have been taught in High School Physics.
Heaven help us when they start fitting RF filters and field activated alternators.
I mean a permanent magnet , hall effect triggered magneto and permanent magnet alternator with a single diode is about as simple as you could make a system.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert, your last post hit the nail on the head. When he says Toro cannot figure out what is wrong just doesn’t make any sense to me. We both have worked on multiple units with electrical problems and electrical drain and charging systems are are one and two on the list of easy problems to diagnose. I wish he would have posted model numbers and exactly what the problem is. I guess we will have to sit back, have a glass of vino, and discuss the advantages and disadvantages of points/condenser systems VS CDI systems, until the next wizard comes along and asks if a diode is wired backwards will it drain the battery.