LLC.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
What are the Pros and Cons of having an LLC when in the lawn maint business?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
What are the Pros and Cons of having an LLC when in the lawn maint business?

I don't know if there are any pros and cons. Limited Liability Company, meaning that the owners of the LLC, called members and are protected from some or all liability for acts and debts of the LLC depending on state shield laws which basically means if you screw up on the job they can sue your company but not you personally.

Last edited:

edd

Threads
i am considering doing an llc for just this protection......my insurance man told me it does not matter.....that if you do something unsafe like mow without a grass flap and hurt somebody that the llc protection is no good......i dont know if i believe that or not.....checked on legal zoom and cost is about 300 dollars.......lawyer wants 1000 dollars to set it up

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't want it. My small equipment and I'm safety otiented worst that could happen is me putting a rock through a window... And ill just pay for that out of pocket

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't want it. My small equipment and I'm safety oriented worst that could happen is me putting a rock through a window... And ill just pay for that out of pocket

Your going to pay out of pocket? Do you know what a sliding glass door goes for? :laughing: A good invisible dog fence can cost $300 to fix.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ya I knew a guy put a rock through a neighbors sliding glass door with an electric hedge trimmer. The neighbors decided to upgrade cost about 3000 ish. While I know that these things are expensive... Car Windows In particular. The likely hood that it does happen is pretty low and in my opinion doesn't justify the cost. Been doing this for 6 years never done any damage. So when it happens ill pay I have enough money is savings to cover just about anything. ;)

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
i am considering doing an llc for just this protection......my insurance man told me it does not matter.....that if you do something unsafe like mow without a grass flap and hurt somebody that the llc protection is no good......i dont know if i believe that or not.....checked on legal zoom and cost is about 300 dollars.......lawyer wants 1000 dollars to set it up

Basically the way I was told is the only thing an LLC provides is they can't file a lawsuit against you personally or your home. They can only file against your business if you should happen that you hurt something or someone. Sounds like your insurance guy is looking out for himself rather than you.

Last edited:

edd

Threads
putting a rock thru a window is a small inconvenience compared to putting a rock thru somebodys head.......that is why i am considering LLC ....i am careful too but i dont want to lose everything over some accident

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
putting a rock thru a window is a small inconvenience compared to putting a rock thru somebodys head.......that is why i am considering LLC ....i am careful too but i dont want to lose everything over some accident

Unless you do commercial... Scratch that. If anyone is ever anywhere near you when you run equipment turn it off...... Ask them nicely to not be there...

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Unless you do commercial... Scratch that. If anyone is ever anywhere near you when you run equipment turn it off...... Ask them nicely to not be there...

About everything I do is commercial.