LLC.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not all mowers come with a discharge flap.

You have to be aware of your surroundings. When we pull up to a yard we do a scan of the houses around us. If we see I house or car with a broke window we take a pic of it with a time and date stamp.
I have not cut yards because there was small kids playing in the yard next door sometimes I have asked the parent to bring the kids inside for a few mins.
If you see a rock stop and pick it up.

The shield on the trimmer is there for a reason. No one has ever gave me a good reason to remove it. Don't say it saves time because I know it's a lie. You take it off because you think you should because you saw someone else do it.

I had a guy take me to court said I hit his car with a rock. The dumb azz scum bag took a rock to court with no signs of it being hit by a blade. It was the size of a baseball. He had to pay me for my time.

LoCo86

Threads
Not all mowers come with a discharge flap. You have to be aware of your surroundings. When we pull up to a yard we do a scan of the houses around us. If we see I house or car with a broke window we take a pic of it with a time and date stamp. I have not cut yards because there was small kids playing in the yard next door sometimes I have asked the parent to bring the kids inside for a few mins. If you see a rock stop and pick it up. The shield on the trimmer is there for a reason. No one has ever gave me a good reason to remove it. Don't say it saves time because I know it's a lie. You take it off because you think you should because you saw someone else do it. I had a guy take me to court said I hit his car with a rock. The dumb azz scum bag took a rock to court with no signs of it being hit by a blade. It was the size of a baseball. He had to pay me for my time.

The only reason I take the shield off of my string trimmer is to make it lighter on the head end and to be more maneuverable. It might not be a good reason for you but it works for me. I mow with the flap up because most yards that I do I have been doing for almost a decade and I know every bump, rut and rocky spot to look out for. However, that doesn't eliminate the chance of something happening it just lessens the chance.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
The only reason I take the shield off of my string trimmer is to make it lighter on the head end and to be more maneuverable. It might not be a good reason for you but it works for me. I mow with the flap up because most yards that I do I have been doing for almost a decade and I know every bump, rut and rocky spot to look out for. However, that doesn't eliminate the chance of something happening it just lessens the chance.

I don't use a shield on any of my trimmers, like you said it's just added weight and gets in the way. I do run a discharge chute or flap on the grandstand though, it's rubber and flexible so so don't have to worry about hitting something. Even with the safety shields and discharge chutes in place it's not a 100% safety factor, you can still throw an object. Actually the discharge chute or flap wasn't put on a mower to keep you from discharging or throwing debris but were design to keep people from putting there hands and feet inside the decks and keeping them clear from the blades.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
putting a rock thru a window is a small inconvenience compared to putting a rock thru somebodys head.......that is why i am considering LLC ....i am careful too but i dont want to lose everything over some accident

Very true! Around here it is different. You get insurance if you want and you register yourself if the company name is not with your name. Ex.: Joe's mowing (don't need insurance), but Perfect lines needs to be registered.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I got my LLC this afternoon.cost me almost $700. Don't know for sure if it was a good move or not but I decided it might be a good idea.

edd

Threads
did you go thru a lawyer? legal zoom advertises it for about 300 dollars

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
did you go thru a lawyer? legal zoom advertises it for about 300 dollars

I went through a lawyer. She charged me $528 and there was a $158 filing fee at the courthouse.

D

DSepe

Not all mowers come with a discharge flap. You have to be aware of your surroundings. When we pull up to a yard we do a scan of the houses around us. If we see I house or car with a broke window we take a pic of it with a time and date stamp. I have not cut yards because there was small kids playing in the yard next door sometimes I have asked the parent to bring the kids inside for a few mins. If you see a rock stop and pick it up. The shield on the trimmer is there for a reason. No one has ever gave me a good reason to remove it. Don't say it saves time because I know it's a lie. You take it off because you think you should because you saw someone else do it. I had a guy take me to court said I hit his car with a rock. The dumb azz scum bag took a rock to court with no signs of it being hit by a blade. It was the size of a baseball. He had to pay me for my time.

Wow that guy is a total scum-bag bottom of the barrel sack of meat. I remember when I was 16 working at a pizza joint and a scummy looking family ate 2 entire pizzas while dining there, only to tell my manager they were burnt...after eating them. Manager offered 2 free pizzas for the "burnt" pizzas. Still pisses me off today. LLC ain't such a bad idea these days.

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
I'm not sure how it works in Evert state. I'm a sole proprietor LLC, and it prevents my personal assets from being confused with business assets in the event something crazy happened. I also carry a $2 mil liability policy for both crews that hit ground everyday. The way I see it is spending a little on the front end could protect you in the event of a lawsuit. We wear high viz shirts put cones out on roads and leave the string trimmer guards on, I can't see where removing them does anything but cause safety issues. My ztrs are dixie chopper and don't even come with discharge chutes we can close the opening though. The bottom line is protect yourself legally the best you can and exercise common sense in the field and you should be fine.

jd2007

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not all mowers come with a discharge flap.

You have to be aware of your surroundings. When we pull up to a yard we do a scan of the houses around us. If we see I house or car with a broke window we take a pic of it with a time and date stamp.
I have not cut yards because there was small kids playing in the yard next door sometimes I have asked the parent to bring the kids inside for a few mins.
If you see a rock stop and pick it up.

The shield on the trimmer is there for a reason. No one has ever gave me a good reason to remove it. Don't say it saves time because I know it's a lie. You take it off because you think you should because you saw someone else do it.

I had a guy take me to court said I hit his car with a rock. The dumb azz scum bag took a rock to court with no signs of it being hit by a blade. It was the size of a baseball. He had to pay me for my time.

Awesome advice. :thumbsup:

Removing the guards from string trimmers could cause damage to the machine's clutch and/or the engine as well.