Engine Type of Oil for Push Mower

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't know of any small 4 cycle engine that calls for a non-detergent motor oil. Some of the early small engines called for non-detergent because the dipper type oil lube systems was supposed to cause foaming of the detergent leading to lack of lubrication. I believe non-detergent is still recommended in oil bath air filter systems since you want the dirt to settle to the bottom.

Non-detergent is still used in pressure washer pumps maybe due to foaming concerns or maybe you want any impurities to settle to the bottom of the washer pump.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Non detergent oils are still used in compressor pumps, which have a higher concentration of moisture and run at a lower temperatures. I always keep a quart of 30W around, normally Valvoline or Campbell Hausfeld, for the unexpected calls.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Non detergent oils are still used in compressor pumps, which have a higher concentration of moisture and run at a lower temperatures. I always keep a quart of 30W around, normally Valvoline or Campbell Hausfeld, for the unexpected calls.

Forgot about air compressors.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well the accountants strike again by telling sales what to stock. Went to O'reillys for 30W oil. They had the lowest grade Valvoline possible and O'reiilys cheapest possible, nothing else. Grabbed what they had since it is just an edger.

efred

Threads
I was told that full-synthetic oil keeps your engine cooler, and it will smoke less, which I can attest to.

Since it is nearly impossible to get straight-weight synthetic oil, just use the multi-grade with the highest winter-weight, like 10W-30.

The latter number is what's most important, because in the warmer temperatures that you're mowing in, the oil have the same viscosity as a 30-weight oil. In the winter, the oil will flow as a 10-weight oil when it's cold.

In your car, however, you use what the owner's manual says; they're much more sensitive to viscosity than lawn mower engines.

So Far.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I was told that full-synthetic oil keeps your engine cooler, and it will smoke less, which I can attest to.

Since it is nearly impossible to get straight-weight synthetic oil, just use the multi-grade with the highest winter-weight, like 10W-30.

The latter number is what's most important, because in the warmer temperatures that you're mowing in, the oil have the same viscosity as a 30-weight oil. In the winter, the oil will flow as a 10-weight oil when it's cold.

In your car, however, you use what the owner's manual says; they're much more sensitive to viscosity than lawn mower engines.

So Far.

Usually i would pass over something like this but as there are so many missconceptions about oils this statement needs some clarification.
the first number in a multigrade is the viscosity OF THE BASE OIL which should be the viscosity at 20 deg C.
The other number is the viscosity of the oil at working temperature which is around 100 deg C

Multigrades do not get thicker as they get hotter, they just thin down less.
So with a 10w30 , from cold it will flow like a 10w oil which makes for easy starting
When running it will be the same viscosity as a strait 30 at 100 c which is more ( slower ) than what a strait 10 w would be at the same temperature .
IT has little to nothing to do with the external temperature once the engine is running

LMAN007

Threads
Usually i would pass over something like this but as there are so many missconceptions about oils this statement needs some clarification.
the first number in a multigrade is the viscosity OF THE BASE OIL which should be the viscosity at 20 deg C.
The other number is the viscosity of the oil at working temperature which is around 100 deg C

Multigrades do not get thicker as they get hotter, they just thin down less.
So with a 10w30 , from cold it will flow like a 10w oil which makes for easy starting
When running it will be the same viscosity as a strait 30 at 100 c which is more ( slower ) than what a strait 10 w would be at the same temperature .
IT has little to nothing to do with the external temperature once the engine is running

Don't you mean 20 deg F instead of C and:confused2: 100 deg F instead of C