Engine Type of Oil for Push Mower

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I knew this would get out of hand.
Omfg just go to walmart and get a jug of oil in the garden center that has the words 4 STROKE on it.

DO NOT PUT 2 STROKE OIL IN YHE CRANK CASE.

Their are to many oil scientists technicians on here.

<3 favorite post of the day

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
briggs SAE 30 Tucumseh SAE 30 honda and most china engines 10w30 some of the new briggs take 10/30

I havent came across Briggs engine yet where the recommended oil 10w-30 over the SAE 30. Do you know which ones they are?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The oil debate. I think you should put last nights recycled beer in it. :smile: No one agrees on oil.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I havent came across Briggs engine yet where the recommended oil 10w-30 over the SAE 30. Do you know which ones they are?

Actually engine oil recommendations are basically an API service classification of SJ or higher for most mowers. You can use any viscosity you want it's up to you the operator. Most will give you a chart in the manual to use with oils ranging from SAE 5w-20 to an SAE 40 depending on temperature. If you use a multi-viscosity like 10w-30 you need to check the oil more frequently because they can in some circumstances tend use oil more so the a 30 weight. I personally use a 10w30 in all my mowers and have never had an issue with a Kawasaki, Kohler, Honda Or Briggs.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Actually engine oil recommendations are basically an API service classification of SJ or higher for most mowers. You can use any viscosity you want it's up to you the operator. Most will give you a chart in the manual to use with oils ranging from SAE 5w-20 to an SAE 40 depending on temperature. If you use a multi-viscosity like 10w-30 you need to check the oil more frequently because they can in some circumstances tend use oil more so the a 30 weight. I personally use a 10w30 in all my mowers and have never had an issue with a Kawasaki, Kohler, Honda Or Briggs.

Well Kawasaki engine thats on my parents Lowes cub cadet been showing signs of using and dad always put 10w-30 in it. So last season I used SAE30 when I changed it.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well Kawasaki engine thats on my parents Lowes cub cadet been showing signs of using and dad always put 10w-30 in it. So last season I used SAE30 when I changed it.

Like I said I've always used the 10w30 and never had a problem with using oil but I always change the oil and filter ever 50 hrs. There's a wide range of oil viscosity's you can use, it's what ever your comfortable using.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use a 10w40. Does that mean I am going to go to hell???

LawnEq

Forum Newbie
Threads
This might have been already added, but did want to voice additional assistance; if your lawn mower is a two-stroke engine, make sure to use two-stroke oil in combination with the gasoline as recommended by the manufacturer. Do not use regular lawn mower oil in two-stroke engines, or the other way around. Do not use automotive oil in your lawn mower or in a two-stroke engine - the additives and detergents in the automotive oil are not healthy for your lawn mower. Look for oils labelled as acceptable for service SF, SG, SH, or SJ. Oil additives are also important and there are plenty of bottles of oil additives on the shelves of big box stores and automotive warehouse, but don't be tempted to add them to your lawn mower. These additives are only helpful in large engines, they will only harm small lawn mower engines. Hope this helps!

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
This might have been already added, but did want to voice additional assistance; if your lawn mower is a two-stroke engine, make sure to use two-stroke oil in combination with the gasoline as recommended by the manufacturer. Do not use regular lawn mower oil in two-stroke engines, or the other way around. Do not use automotive oil in your lawn mower or in a two-stroke engine - the additives and detergents in the automotive oil are not healthy for your lawn mower. Look for oils labelled as acceptable for service SF, SG, SH, or SJ. Oil additives are also important and there are plenty of bottles of oil additives on the shelves of big box stores and automotive warehouse, but don't be tempted to add them to your lawn mower. These additives are only helpful in large engines, they will only harm small lawn mower engines. Hope this helps!

I havent had any problems yet using automotive 10w-30/SAE30 in a 4 stroke mower. So I'll disagree with last few sentences that you posted.