Engine Type of Oil for Push Mower

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not saying 2 stroke oil is the right oil to use, Just saying you can get by with it in a 4 cycle engine. It will shorten your engine life. Less then a quart of oil, why not use the right oil and the best.

I know you can get by running the 2 stroke mix for your gas in a 4 stroke but I wouldn't put the stuff in my crankcase when changing oil.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I know you can get by running the 2 stroke mix for your gas in a 4 stroke but I wouldn't put the stuff in my crankcase when changing oil.

Yes you can put it in your crankcase and run your engine. Am I advising it NO. Like I said for what little amount it cost why not use the right oil?? All you are asking for by running 2 cycle oil in a 4 cycle engine crankcase is a short life span. I can also remember in my younger days seeing a person that ran fuel oil in his crankcase to flush out the sludge. He just ran it a short amount of time and drained it then installed oil. Another story is a person that ran 50/50 ATF and motor oil in his crankcase. His reasoning was it ran cleaner. Most anything will lubricate the bearings. Not that I would try it but I wouldn't be surprised if you could use cooking oil.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just go to Walmart and buy a quart of the Super Tech HD30 w/green label for $2.67.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads

Ya I've done this when I forget to fill my straight gas in the morning I've used 2 cycle before I would never...ever put it in my engine you need proof? Get some paper pour a dab of 30w on there feel how thick it is watch how fast its absorbed into the paper this shows again how thin it is. Do it also with 2cycle oil it absorbs into the paper very quickly showing how thin it is. Now remember when an engine heats up oil gets warm and thinner what do you think will happen when that thin 2cycle oil gets thinner it would be like living your engine with water. The fact that someone is actually saying it would be ok even with disclaimers is beyond me.... Especially on a forum dedicated to fixing the machines proper.....

This topic has gotten ridiculous... Most small push mower engines run on 30w or 10w30 don't use anything else.... And brand doesn't matter

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
And brand doesn't matter

Oil brand does too matter. Quaker State oil isnt thick enough for small engines. It thins out when it gets hot where its too thin to keep the engine internals lubed.

tybilly

Threads
Yes you can put it in your crankcase and run your engine. Am I advising it NO. Like I said for what little amount it cost why not use the right oil?? All you are asking for by running 2 cycle oil in a 4 cycle engine crankcase is a short life span. I can also remember in my younger days seeing a person that ran fuel oil in his crankcase to flush out the sludge. He just ran it a short amount of time and drained it then installed oil. Another story is a person that ran 50/50 ATF and motor oil in his crankcase. His reasoning was it ran cleaner. Most anything will lubricate the bearings. Not that I would try it but I wouldn't be surprised if you could use cooking oil.

its funny you say that because some 2cycle oil has a vegetable base to it,and I was right it is around a 20wt,

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ya I've done this when I forget to fill my straight gas in the morning I've used 2 cycle before I would never...ever put it in my engine you need proof? Get some paper pour a dab of 30w on there feel how thick it is watch how fast its absorbed into the paper this shows again how thin it is. Do it also with 2cycle oil it absorbs into the paper very quickly showing how thin it is. Now remember when an engine heats up oil gets warm and thinner what do you think will happen when that thin 2cycle oil gets thinner it would be like living your engine with water. The fact that someone is actually saying it would be ok even with disclaimers is beyond me.... Especially on a forum dedicated to fixing the machines proper.....

This topic has gotten ridiculous... Most small push mower engines run on 30w or 10w30 don't use anything else.... And brand doesn't matter

Yes thin oil ,, not water. I never said to use 2 cycle oil over 4 cycle only it can be done. Reread what I am saying. Water and oil are two different things and I will say you are ridiculous thinking they are the same. Just what do you think lubricates a 2 cycle engine, water. Is it the proper thing to do,"" NO" ONE MORE TIME. I do not want to offend you but I was thinking about it so lets keep it clean.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oil brand does too matter. Quaker State oil isnt thick enough for small engines. It thins out when it gets hot where its too thin to keep the engine internals lubed.

This I didn't know... As for the water comment I wasn't calling it water I was comparing thiness and viscosity I understand the difference between the two :) and I agree calm is good

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I knew this would get out of hand.
Omfg just go to walmart and get a jug of oil in the garden center that has the words 4 STROKE on it.

DO NOT PUT 2 STROKE OIL IN YHE CRANK CASE.

Their are to many oil scientists technicians on here.

briggs

Threads
briggs SAE 30 Tucumseh SAE 30 honda and most china engines 10w30 some of the new briggs take 10/30