Is your John Deere worth it?

exMARK

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes. The dealership lawn, garden, and compact tractors are made WAY better than the box store branded units. My local ag dealer will not service the box store models. Why? Think about it.

I wanted to purchase a tractor/mower once. So, I got a JD 4100 with belly mower. As my trees grew, I got an eXmark Lazer Z for better maneuvering around the trees. Now, I don't have to unmount the 4100 front end loader just to mow. Best of life yet. Even better if someone would buy my 72" JD mower deck. It's built like a tank, but too wide for my use now!

hunting404

Threads
Is there a difference between a riding mower bought at a box store and at JD dealer. I mean the mower itself not the service you receive.
Sorry, I asked the question before reading the reply above.
HAGD
Jim

Carey Rotary

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is there a difference between a riding mower bought at a box store and at JD dealer. I mean the mower itself not the service you receive.
HAGD
Jim

Both sell similar models but your JD dealer has additional models that are far better quality. Yes they'll cost more but they'll last a lot longer. Check out the gauge of the steel used in the different models. You'll see! The Deere's sold at the big box stores are there because of the name not the quality. Same with Cub Cadet. In my opinion the big box store's Deere, & Cub Cadet are no different than the MTD, Yard Man, Bolens, Troy Bilt etc.

mamaA

Threads
I wish we had gone with a Deere instead of the Cub we have. But we really didn't have the money at the time we needed a mower. I'm holding out for the GREEN for our next mower purchase though. :thumbsup:

mystreba

Threads
The thread was about Deere, yet the discussion seems to center around box-stores. Let's see if I have this straight. I buy a JD LA145 at Lowes for $1999, and it is a DIFFERENT MACHINE than the LA145 I buy for $1999 on the JD website? And the JD dealer won't sell me parts for the LA145 I bought at Lowes? This makes no sense to me. Can someone please explain?

Are we maybe saying that folks should forget the box store JD models and step up to a higher-end JD model that can only be purchased at the JD dealer? While this might be advising people to purchase something they don't necessarily need, at least it makes logistical sense.

Last edited:

ReggieDeere

Threads
You definitely get better quality from a real John Deere dealer. My advice is, spend the extra money. You won't regret owning a real JD mower, It'll last a lifetime.:thumbsup:

HAGD
Jim

jimbo64

Threads
John Deere is probably the best known, and the most expensive mower on the market. I love mine so much that I am looking to buy a new one. Anybody else think that the price is worth it?
YEP ME----BOUGHT A NEW GT 245 A LOT OF YEARS AGO---$5200 -Have had no probs at all and have over 500 hrs on it-----normal maint ------some good buys on used ones around also

Gareth

Forum Newbie
Threads
I love my JD X540 - amazing machine.
I didnt realise how capable it would be until I got a demo - I am a contractor and need something powerful, reliable and that leaves an excellent finish.

One of the guys who works for me used to work for the council grass cutting team and he thinks the cut is nearly as good as the cylinder cutters they used there! Praise indeed!

Well worth that extra money and a great dealer 15 miles away for professional quick service.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I love my JD X540 - amazing machine.
I didnt realise how capable it would be until I got a demo - I am a contractor and need something powerful, reliable and that leaves an excellent finish.

One of the guys who works for me used to work for the council grass cutting team and he thinks the cut is nearly as good as the cylinder cutters they used there! Praise indeed!

Well worth that extra money and a great dealer 15 miles away for professional quick service.
WELL WORTH THE $$$...YOU BET. Super reliability if you buy a model that is engineered for what your needs are. I could have bought a 2 grand JD, but for mowing 5 acres, it wouldn't last.
The great thing about green machines is you can ALWAYS get parts and service. I've got almost 800 hours on my 8 year old 4210. Aside from fluid and filter changes (air, oil, hydro filters) the only part I have had to replace is one fan belt and one cracked pin on the FEL linkage. It still has the OEM mower deck belt and that looks nearly new, and I mow at least 80 hours a year and some of it is 3 foot high weeds.

I paid about 20 grand for my machine when new, there is one like it for sale locally, private owner, and no mid-mount mower. He wants 16 grand for one like mine with the same FEL. A 60 inch 7-Iron deck would add $1500 to the used model price. You show me ANYTHING comparable that is 8 years old that has the same resale value !!

Good Deeres are expensive, but the investment is well worth it in the long run.

Stash

Threads
The thread was about Deere, yet the discussion seems to center around box-stores. Let's see if I have this straight. I buy a JD LA145 at Lowes for $1999, and it is a DIFFERENT MACHINE than the LA145 I buy for $1999 on the JD website? And the JD dealer won't sell me parts for the LA145 I bought at Lowes? This makes no sense to me. Can someone please explain?

Are we maybe saying that folks should forget the box store JD models and step up to a higher-end JD model that can only be purchased at the JD dealer? While this might be advising people to purchase something they don't necessarily need, at least it makes logistical sense.

The LA145 at Lowes is the same LA145 at any JD Dealer or the JD Web site. You can buy parts for any LA145 at any JD Dealer.