1996 (or 97) Honda Harmony 2013 Tractor Drive Belt Question(s)

stagewex

Threads
  • / 1996 (or 97) Honda Harmony 2013 Tractor Drive Belt Question(s)
This little tractor with original snowblower has really been earning its keep so far this terrible NY Winter. The last two (2) snowfalls that we had I was out of town for work. When I got home the snow was so frozen that I could stand on the icy snowdrifts without breaking through. And I'm 220 lbs.

Using the tractor and snowblower as both a IceBreaker and a Chipper it made mincemeat of the frozen tundra. But I've noticed that there is a slight slippage in forward drive. Not enough to stop it but enough for me to look underneath. The drive belt looks to be wearing. I can see some white threads showing through the rubber or whatever it is made of. For all I know it may be the original belt from '96 or '97?

I'm going to go through the Shop Manual to get the proper Honda Part number unless someone picks up on this and can post it first.

Question #1 basically for other Honda Tractor owners but may apply to all: The Tractor Owners Manual says you need to drop the mowing deck to properly change the drive belt on the tractor. I don't have a mower deck but I do have a frame (from front to back) mounted Honda Snowblower attached. I can see the drive belt pretty clearly but it doesn't mention in either the Owners Manual or Workshop Manual if you have to remove it to change the drive belt. I'm going to assume "yes" but if some tells me I don't have to that would be great.

Question #2: Drive Belts in General... both the Owners Manual and Workshop Manual give instructions on changing the drive belt. But unlike the PTO belt it doesn't mention if there is some sort of adjustment you can make to tighten it up. So no adjustment at all? That's a little surprising.

Any input is appreciated.

mike wex/stagewex

bwdbrn1

Threads
I've always found the shop manuals for the Honda outdoor equipment I have to be very detailed. If you have the official manual for that machine, I'd say you can trust what it says and follow it. So far as removing the mower deck compared to the snow blower, I would guess the deck would be in the way of getting to the belt, but if the snow blower frame isn't in the way of getting the job done then you might be lucky enough to not have to take it off and put it on again.

stagewex

Threads
I've always found the shop manuals for the Honda outdoor equipment I have to be very detailed. If you have the official manual for that machine, I'd say you can trust what it says and follow it. So far as removing the mower deck compared to the snow blower, I would guess the deck would be in the way of getting to the belt, but if the snow blower frame isn't in the way of getting the job done then you might be lucky enough to not have to take it off and put it on again.

Not a trust issue. The manuals (I have both Owners and Shop as mentioned in initial post) do not mention or address either question at all. Maybe it's so obvious they decided not to say "take the snowblower (and thus its frame off..." because you don't have to? I don't know? It looks pretty tight from under there.

No mention of any adjustment regarding the drive belt either. Just inspection and replacement.

Thanks,

Mike Wex/stagewex

stagewex

Threads
Not a trust issue. The manuals (I have both Owners and Shop as mentioned in initial post) do not mention or address either question at all. Maybe it's so obvious they decided not to say "take the snowblower (and thus its frame off..." because you don't have to? I don't know? It looks pretty tight from under there.

No mention of any adjustment regarding the drive belt either. Just inspection and replacement.

Thanks,

Mike Wex/stagewex

Well, in prepping for the snowstorm that is hitting us right now I've eliminated basically both of my original questions. The belt was so worn that it broke riding her back into the garage last night. So no need to know if there is an adjustment now and/or how to take off with the snowblower attachment and frame installed.
I called the dealer to order a belt and they have two different types (lengths) listed listed. So I've got to find the product model plate which I think is on the left hand side in the engine compartment. I think the difference is the regular tractor and the hydrostatic transmission model (not mine). But the dealer parts guy could not decipher.

bwdbrn1

Threads
Kind of took care of the "removal" for you. You're probably right about there being a difference in belts between hydro and gear driven. I don't have experience with their riders, but I know some of their walk behinds are like that. Hope you get your new belt quickly, and it goes on almost as easily as it came off.

tybilly

Threads
Well, in prepping for the snowstorm that is hitting us right now I've eliminated basically both of my original questions. The belt was so worn that it broke riding her back into the garage last night. So no need to know if there is an adjustment now and/or how to take off with the snowblower attachment and frame installed.
I called the dealer to order a belt and they have two different types (lengths) listed listed. So I've got to find the product model plate which I think is on the left hand side in the engine compartment. I think the difference is the regular tractor and the hydrostatic transmission model (not mine). But the dealer parts guy could not decipher.
if your changing the transmission drive belt,it will always be easier to remove the snowblower and frame,just to get everything out of your way,so you can have safe clutter free area room and inspect other things that may have caused your belt to break,.your old belt may have a number stamped on the side, hope this helps