Please give me some info.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
We still have ice in some shady places around our church especially on sidewalks in front. What is the easiest way to melt it?

I see y'all talk about putting out salt. How do you use it? Will it kill the shrubs?

I understand this might sound ignorant but if you do not know, you do not know.

Thanks.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
We still have ice in some shady places around our church especially on sidewalks in front. What is the easiest way to melt it?

I see y'all talk about putting out salt. How do you use it? Will it kill the shrubs?

I understand this might sound ignorant but if you do not know, you do not know.

Thanks.

Magnesium chloride is what I use on sidewalks works in -20 degree temps and works fast. Otherwise ill scrape it with a mutt (like a heavy duty floor scraped but made for ice) don't put it in the shrub beds and you'll be fine a little won't hurt but a lot can do very bad damage like kill your soil ph for years

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Salt wouldn't 't work unless you have activity to make it work like a lot of people walking on it. Where I live salt is used for roads and sidewalks and it doesn't seem to kill the grass or shrubs. But they also mix something with it to make the salt work better. I have found that just plane sand seems to work the best .

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The salt they are talking about is rock salt. Unless you put down a large amount it shouldn't hurt the scrubs. I have been trying to figure an application rate for you, but probably two hands fulls should do about 5 feet of sidewalk. In other words a sprinkling of about 2 inches between rocks should be sufficient.

We us rock salt in the aparagus patch to kill the grass, and it takes turning the ground white like snow to do that.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm a bit surprised that there's still some ice way down south where you are. We (ATL) still have some in places where there is no southern exposure. I don't think we'll get a hard freeze tonight so it will all be gone soon. :thumbsup:

This doesn't answer your question but may help in the future. Whenever we get snow or ice, I shovel my front steps and walk right after it stops. It's easy to do at that point (it hasn't been trampled down).

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
What they had couldnt be taken care of right after it was litterly snowing/raining ice The report i read said 2.5" of solid Ice I think Rock salt will do but something stronger may be necessary go buy a mutt and start chipping.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Alabama got a good ice storm before the snow. We was lucky and only got the snow

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Down here we did not get hardly any snow. Just a whole lot of ice.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
We get ice up quite frequently you guys freak with ice storm we get one bad one a year lol mag chloride is your friend :) buy it at your local hardware store look at the ingredients of the de icer you'll find it