Troy-built 42" mower question (concerns braking brake lever)

turbofiat124

Threads
  • / Troy-built 42" mower question (concerns braking brake lever)
I aquired a 17.5 hp, 42" Troy built lawn tractor from my sister-in-law in part for helping her move. The mower looks similiar to this one, except for the location of the ignition switch (I think):

troy-bilt-s-bronco-lawn-tractor-42_31142441.jpg

The only thing I have done so far is pump up one of the rear tires, start it, drove up some ramps into a box van (scary!!), unloaded it at my house then threw a tarp on it.

My only question is the parking brake lever. It has multiple (seven I think) settings. You push the lever either all the way up or all the way back while pressing the clutch/brake pedal which sets the parking brake.

My question is why are there seven setting for this lever? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question. Like I said this move has been extensive so I was just thankful I was able to get it started into the van.

Does this lever also a serve as a speed setting? I had to adjust the throttle to control the mowers speed.

Last edited:
Threads
I aquired a 17.5 hp, 42" Troy built lawn tractor from my sister-in-law in part for helping her move. The mower looks similiar to this one, except for the location of the ignition switch (I think:)

View attachment 19135

The only thing I have done so far is pump up one of the rear tires, start it, drove up some ramps into a box van (scary!!), unloaded it at my house then threw a tarp on it.

My only question is the parking brake lever. It has multiple (seven I think) settings. You push the lever either all the way up or all the way back while pressing the clutch/brake pedal which sets the parking brake.

My question is why are there seven setting for this lever? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question. Like I said this move has been extensive so I was just thankful I was able to get it started into the van.

Does this lever also a serve as a speed setting? I had to adjust the throttle to control the mowers speed.

Not sure. Can you get a picture of the lever in question? If memory serves it does adjust the speed setting as well.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes, it changes tension on a double belt/double pulley system to give you seven speeds, MTD has done this for years.

turbofiat124

Threads
Yes, it changes tension on a double belt/double pulley system to give you seven speeds, MTD has done this for years.

Thanks.

I only drove this thing from the back of the her house up a hill and into the box van so I didn't have much time to play around with it.
It seems to be a good mower.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks.

I only drove this thing from the back of the her house up a hill and into the box van so I didn't have much time to play around with it.
It seems to be a good mower.

Ya its ground speed level 7 is for transport 1-3 is usually cutting speed if the grass is thin dry or not to long you can cut in 4-5