5hp Tecumseh Carb Q's ...

michael_C

Forum Newbie
Threads
happy new year friends. first post and appreciate the opportunity!

i just finished a partial carb rebuild on my old Tecumseh. cleaned holes in brass-bowl-nut. replaced valve needle (i lost original. doh!). adjustments are 1.5 turns out. she WANTS to run but best i can get is 10 seconds of really rough idling/spitting/belching. spark plug is very wet afterwards. fuel is NOT leaking out of carb when engines not running.

i guess she's getting too much gas, yes? at an impasse here ...

a million thanks in advance for any help!

best regards,
mike

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is a possibility that you don't have the correct bowl nut/jet. Once it sputters out and dies, turn the thumbscrew adjustment all of the way in, and with no choke, pull until it starts.... If it spits and sputters until it dies again, look at the ignition or elsewhere. You may have some points that need cleaned and regapped...

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If, after you turn the thumbscrew all of the way in and start it, it eventually starts, then finally roars to life real healthy like for a second or two, then dies, then your fuel system may be way too rich....

michael_C

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for the comeback, fish.

engine will start easily and run ... just runs <very> badly and not for very long. it's running way too rich.

bowl nut is original, i only replaced needle valve.

w/ bowl cover off, if i gently hold float up it <does> stop fuel flow. so it seems needle valve is seating properly.

appreciate the help,
mike

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do like I said...

Or at least drain all of the fuel, and pull the rope until you know for sure that the engine isn't partly flooded. Then when the engine is totally dry of fuel, pour a dribble of fuel mix into the carb throat, and pull some more. If the engine eventually roars to life, and runs great for a second or two, then dies, then you know where you need to look.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it doesn't, then you know , What???

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Don't know what you mean by a partial rebuild? Sounds to me like something isn't put together right. I would say start over Take apart the carburetor again and just recheck everything, Nothing wrong with that and yes I have been there myself.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
None the less. If one had a good running engine that was totally dry on fuel, and someone squirted a little fuel down the throat of the carb, it should start and run normally for a second or three, until that squirted fuel burned off.

If it doesn't do that, then there is likely other problems... Like ignition!!!!!

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does the float work? Could be full of gas and not floating? If it gets to much gas could also check choke operation see if its opening when engine gets warm