Almost bought a honda

Mike88se

Threads
Not sure how it is made on your mower, but on mine, in order to back up, if I let go of the bail it backs up. A spring desengages the tranny. If that spring is broken, the wheels jam up. Also, I have a spring tensioner on top to adjust the speeds and if it will back up.
Thanks, I should check that spring. The tension adjustments on the control...the part with 2 10mm nuts? Thats been adjusted and even totally loosened with no effect. Its an HRB217 hxa hydrostatic. It should freewheel if the drive isn't engaged.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks, I should check that spring. The tension adjustments on the control...the part with 2 10mm nuts? Thats been adjusted and even totally loosened with no effect. Its an HRB217 hxa hydrostatic. It should freewheel if the drive isn't engaged.

I have a big spring at the bottom. Kinda like a loop. Mine was jammed with grass. I own a YBravo tho, so it might be really different than a Honda mower. I have no Hydro trans.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
No I meen the actual cable adjustment that's usually the cause of that problem for me usually takes a while to get just right

Mike88se

Threads
I have a big spring at the bottom. Kinda like a loop. Mine was jammed with grass. I own a YBravo tho, so it might be really different than a Honda mower. I have no Hydro trans.
This one has a wound spring with the top going through a hole in the lever on the transmission. It looks fine. It snaps back when the bail is released. It's all clean. I looked at my 216 in comparison and it was filthy and grass cake... and working fine lol
No I meen the actual cable adjustment that's usually the cause of that problem for me usually takes a while to get just right
The tension? Where the two 10mm nuts are?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
This one has a wound spring with the top going through a hole in the lever on the transmission. It looks fine. It snaps back when the bail is released. It's all clean. I looked at my 216 in comparison and it was filthy and grass cake... and working fine lol

The tension? Where the two 10mm nuts are?

Ya on the cable I think its two 10mm that's the cable adjustment usually when you replace the cable it takes a little tweaking and over time you need to adjust it once and a while as it ages

Mike88se

Threads
Ya on the cable I think its two 10mm that's the cable adjustment usually when you replace the cable it takes a little tweaking and over time you need to adjust it once and a while as it ages
Thanks but I've adjusted that every way from all the way in to all the way out and it made no difference. I even loosened it and let it hang slack and nothing. I need to retrace my steps and figure out what I did wrong. I installed a blade brake cable, the drive cable, pinion gears, and two new rear wheels. Thing is I've already checked and rechecked all of that.
I have to swap the engine... well everything over to a new deck because this one is cracked and I want to sell the mower.
I plastic welded the crack and I think it's good to go but buyers aren't going to like that.
The engine and handlebars will be easy. How hard is it to get the transmission out?
Maybe the wheel lockup will fix itself during the swap ;)

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Maybe it'll work it self out when you use it. My Honda did that when I replaced the belt took a few uses for it to work right seemed to fix itself. I would check the gears are installed right