Starting a lawn care business

jakesteel22

Threads
Ive been considering starting a lawn care business this spring. Any tips? What kind of equipment would be good to start off with? I know i can get customers. Yards would mostly be smaller in town. What should i charge per yard? I live in west Michigan.

Threads
:welcome: Welcome to the forum!

When you say yards in town what size do you mean? The yards I do are around 0.25 acre, and I use self-propelled 21" mowers, but you get the efficiency when you use a wider mower like a wide area walk behind, stander, or zero-turn. As for tips, you want to have good, reliable equipment, but don't spend tons of money until you know you'll have the amount of customers to pay for it. Advertise a lot, including yard signs and flyers. You don't need to pay big bucks to get professional-looking marketing tools, and also utilize free things like Facebook. :thumbsup:

jakesteel22

Threads
Yard are about .25 of an acre. Any mowers you would recommend?

jakesteel22

Threads
There will also be some yards that are aroud an acre. My price range for a mower is about $1500 tops.

metz12

Threads
Yard are about .25 of an acre. Any mowers you would recommend?

start out with something on the lower priced side for push mowers. something with a briggs and stratton motor is your best bet. but i also like toro stuff, they like to use tecumeseh engines. i would try to find something used on craigslist, but thats my opinion. you can find good push mowers on there for 30-50bucks all day.

jakesteel22

Threads
For $1500 you won't get much new. You would definitely want to look used.

Im not looking for top of the line equipment. Just something to get started. Would like to get a decent toro mower and a ride on or something. If i were to get both i can change my budget. Money is not really a problem, just dont want to spend more than im going to make.

Threads
Im not looking for top of the line equipment. Just something to get started. Would like to get a decent toro mower and a ride on or something. If i were to get both i can change my budget. Money is not really a problem, just dont want to spend more than im going to make.

Don't know what state you're in, but there can be some really good deals on Craigslist if you look. You can sometimes even get a commercial mower in your budget. :thumbsup: