Starting a lawn care business

GT182

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try not got get lawn jobs over 5 or 6 miles away from home if you can. Gas will eat you alive. Unles.... you have at a good numbet that you can do in one day, and not have to go back the next day to finish them up. I had 2 jobs about 12 miles from the house and it was a PITA that cost a lot in gas just to get there. Only 40 bucks a pop. The 3rd job was even lower and after two mowings I told the cheapskate I was done... get someone else or put your lazy kids to work mowing your lawn. My minimum for a .25 acre lawn is 50 bucks.... mowed and trimmed like I'd do my own yard. Edging is more depending on how much needs to be done.

For equipment, get everything that will run on straight gas. No mixing of 2 cycle oil in a can for a special piece like a trimmer or blower. Get a 4 cycle trimmer like Craftsman has, and attachments. Trimmer, blower, and edger should hold you over for just about any job you get.

If you buy a lawn tractor to mow with, also get a snowblower if you live where you get significant snowfall. People would rather have someone come in and use a snowblower to clean their driveway than a snowplow. Snowplows will chew up lawns and most do not like that at all. That's how I get my jobs cleaning driveways in the winter. In my neighborhood I can make 300.00 or more in one day if we get 6"s of snow or more, using my 50" snowblower on my G2000 Kubota.

mac

Threads
Unlike GT182, I use both self-propelled walk behind, and riders, depending on the size of the lawn. If you mow on hilly property, you'll probably want a 2-stroke mower, as they are not affected by running them across the side of a hill, 4-cycle mowers are subject to engine failure, unless you get one that has an oil filter (Pressured oil system). Yes, they do sell them, but they are expensive. A used Lawn Boy or a Toro with the 2-stroke engine are two good examples. I have a Lawn Boy. As for a rider, you might want to start out with something with between a 30" and 38" deck. The reason I say this is because you will want to use it as much as you can to save time. Your trimmer and blower should be 2-stroke due to the weight. Most of the equipment produced today is 50to1 mix ratio, so you only need 2 gas cans, 1 for your rider, and one for everything else. I've been in the lawn service business for 6 years now, and this is what I use. Of course, I have several more riders, but what I've mentioned above will get you started. If you buy your equipment either used, or refurbished Attwoods, Northern Tool, and Tractor Supply all carry refurbished equipment i.e. Trimmers and Blowers. should be able to be purchased for what you want to spend. If you're going to buy a trailer, don't buy a little one unless you have no intention of ever buying any large riders. My trailer is a 77" x 10'. I spent more on my trailer than all of my other equipment combined, but I've never had to replace it either. Hope this helps.

Mid TN Lawn

Threads
I ask have you ever seen one single large company use magnets. Same thing goes for truck color 99percent of all companies use white trucks sends message of dedicated professional. White is all we have ever bought. To become a large successful company you must do and act basically as they do.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I ask have you ever seen one single large company use magnets. Same thing goes for truck color 99percent of all companies use white trucks sends message of dedicated professional. White is all we have ever bought. To become a large successful company you must do and act basically as they do.

Maybe you can conform to them... Maybe you don't have to have any individuality you can do just fine as long as you know how to market and how to price ya the big companys all use the same 3 mowers and the same white truck with green logo and letters on the door but hey that's them not you

CZLawnCare

Threads
I do not agree that the color of your truck means anything, i used to have the typical white and green scheme as mentioned above but i decided to paint it 2 months ago, my truck is now grey and has no logos but that doesnt make me any less of a proffessional, at the end of the day its still pulling the same 16 foot landscape trailer with pro equipment and the truck is still full of the same crew that gives proffessional service

Attachments

• image-1032794872.jpg
    image-1032794872.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 24
  • image-3040372529.jpg
    image-3040372529.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 26

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
That colour thing is based on what? Do you have real proof that a white truck gives you more clients? I am pretty sure you simply did this by observation. Observation is not that good to found a theory. You know what, my truck is red and everyone is fine with it! It stands out with my green and black logo with my commercial grade equipment. I mow like a pro and I serve my clients correctly and with a smile.

Threads
I do not agree that the color of your truck means anything, i used to have the typical white and green scheme as mentioned above but i decided to paint it 2 months ago, my truck is now grey and has no logos but that doesnt make me any less of a proffessional, at the end of the day its still pulling the same 16 foot landscape trailer with pro equipment and the truck is still full of the same crew that gives proffessional service

That colour thing is based on what? Do you have real proof that a white truck gives you more clients? I am pretty sure you simply did this by observation. Observation is not that good to found a theory. You know what, my truck is red and everyone is fine with it! It stands out with my green and black logo with my commercial grade equipment. I mow like a pro and I serve my clients correctly and with a smile.

Nicely said!

ss69

Forum Newbie
Threads
The 21" Honda self propelled mower is hard to beat. Some other brands have Honda engines, but the ones made completely by Honda are the best ones. Will always crank on the first pull. Used ones are easy enough to find at pawn shops, flea markets and yard sales. For your trimmer needs, I like the Husqvarna light weight commercial. It was always the one chosen off the rack by my trimmer guys. Also, it was difficult to get my guys to use an edger, because they could edge with a trimmer just as good, but occasionally (twice 15yrs) we had to replace a window. Your should use a trimmer type edger, because it has the rubber guard and is less bulky than the wheeled version. You need to study up on how to grow grass on hard to grow areas and when weed control and fertilizer should be applied. The best advertising you can do is put your sign in front of a beautifully manicured, stripped lawn with the sidewalks and curbsides edged to perfection. If you cut a lawn often enough, you can double blade mulch and not have to bag. Best of luck to you.

ss69

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would like to add to my previous post. Most of the equipment I purchased had a tag advising me to not use regular gas, because of the ethanol in it. They may even void the warranty if tests determine that you used anything except the highest grade of gas. If you have enough larger yards to mow, it would be advisable to get a zero turn with a commercial deck for a smoother cut. I do, however have a Poulan rider with 26hp & 54" deck that mows one beautiful yard. It has 5 wheels on the light deck and the deck rides the contour of the ground (good on uneven yards). The drawback is that it takes more time to turn this type of mower. You will at least double your cutting time with a rider, vs a zero turn. However, a rider, because they're cheap, may fit your needs until you get enough yards to justify the purchase of a zt.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

The reason that 99% of all companies use white trucks is because there fleet trucks and the cheapest you can buy, they have no carpeting, a plain radio and air. Company's and highway departments and such buy them 6 to 12 at a time, using white trucks doesn't send any message that's just weird.