Fuel Efficiency

SallyA

Threads
Is there much difference in the fuel efficiency of riding mowers? Since we're planning to buy one and it's likely that gas prices could be at $5.00 a gallon by the end of summer, I think taking fuel efficiency into consideration is a good idea.

indypower

Threads
My 09 Poulan 15.5hp single cyl. lawn tractor is very fuel effecient. It has overhead valves and I use synthetic oil. It has a 1 gal. gas tank and I can mow my big lawn on less than half a tank. So my 2 cents is buy a single cyl. and use synthetic oil. Also make sure the tire pressures are kept up to specs.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sally you are likely among the first of a lot, that will start looking at the fuel efficiency of mowers... and if you are going to be buying a new mower, that may be a very new consideration..

Like indypower pointed out there are ways to improve your existing mowers efficiency... but if your looking for a new one, that should be one of the stats to look into... :smile:KennyV

mois25

Threads
I agree, perhaps looking at ways to modify an existing rather than a new mower sounds like a great idea. Has the pressure on the tires got anything to do with fuel consumption?

indypower

Threads
I agree, perhaps looking at ways to modify an existing rather than a new mower sounds like a great idea. Has the pressure on the tires got anything to do with fuel consumption?
Yes it does. Just like the tires on your car. Drive your car with 10% less recomended air in the tires and your gas mileage goes down. It takes more power to move a vechile with flat tires then it does properly inflated tires.