Used 2 cycle mix in a four cycle pressure washer, now won't start

b4c1991

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Used 2 cycle mix in a four cycle pressure washer, now won't start
My genius friend put oil in the oil compartment and oil/gas mix in the gas compartment and now it won't start. We tried starter fluid but it just stays started long enough to burn that off. We tried to drain the oil and gas and put the correct product in its place but still no luck. Any ideas?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
From your description I think you will need to remove and clean the carb. The small amount of oil in two cycle mix shouldn't cause a now start situation. Maybe cause it to smoke but shouldn't prevent starting.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Should run fine on the gas mix, unless it was bad. Either way, you need to go through/rebuild the fuel system and carb, you have crud/water in your carb, or something interfering with your fuel flow.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Drain the fuel tank and put just gas in it. then replace the spark plug. The oil in the gas wouldn't hurt anything other fowl out the spark plug and it might smoke a little till the oil is gone.

Mike88se

Threads
I recently bought a used Toro recycler. The PO had got a new mower as a gift. He "prepared" the old mower for storage. Also added oil. And more oil... and more oil. 30wt. I had to drain the excess oil, clean the carb, muffler, and spark plug. And crank it over several times to blow all the oil out of the combustion chamber and exhaust. I put it back together, added gas, and it fired up. A bit of smoke at first and then ran great.
Your engine will be fine :)

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
For what little oil that would be in the carburetors gas I just don't understand why clean the carburetor? Maybe just drain the bowl.

b4c1991

Forum Newbie
Threads
From your description I think you will need to remove and clean the carb. The small amount of oil in two cycle mix shouldn't cause a now start situation. Maybe cause it to smoke but shouldn't prevent starting.

I will tell him to try this. He said he also didn't winterize it at all last year, just left the oil and gas in it. We drained both and refilled with the correct items but still didn't work. We will try the spark plug next and then try cleaning the carb. We're able to get it to start with starter fluid but that just burns off and it dies. no smoke though

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I will tell him to try this. He said he also didn't winterize it at all last year, just left the oil and gas in it. We drained both and refilled with the correct items but still didn't work. We will try the spark plug next and then try cleaning the carb. We're able to get it to start with starter fluid but that just burns off and it dies. no smoke though

If it starts with starting fluid and just burns that off means you are not getting fuel through the carburetor. It could mean that the needle valve is stuck closed in the carburetor. This has nothing to do with the oil in the gas.

Gil

Threads
My genius friend put oil in the oil compartment and oil/gas mix in the gas compartment and now it won't start. We tried starter fluid but it just stays started long enough to burn that off. We tried to drain the oil and gas and put the correct product in its place but still no luck. Any ideas?

Had basically the same problem with a log splitter that had set for over a year without use. It would run only when used "starter fluid". After trying several different things, including changing to a new plug, draining and cleaning out gas tank, etc. None of which got it to running. My brother in law (a small engine mechanic) advised me to take off and clean the carburetor. Which I did and used compressed air to blow out all ports. Back together and it started on the second pull and now runs great. Make sure to use new clean gas and that everything is clean from tank to combustion chamber. If it runs using "starter fluid" its definitely a gas problem.
Regards, Gil

Jim S

Threads
Had basically the same problem with a log splitter that had set for over a year without use. It would run only when used "starter fluid". After trying several different things, including changing to a new plug, draining and cleaning out gas tank, etc. None of which got it to running. My brother in law (a small engine mechanic) advised me to take off and clean the carburetor. Which I did and used compressed air to blow out all ports. Back together and it started on the second pull and now runs great. Make sure to use new clean gas and that everything is clean from tank to combustion chamber. If it runs using "starter fluid" its definitely a gas problem.
Regards, Gil

B4c

Lay off the starting fluid. It is made for diesels. It washes the oil off the cylinder walls, leading to accelerated piston and ring wear. I do mean ACCELERATED. Use carb cleaner, gas or wd-40 instead.

Good luck.

Jim