When does a lawn stop being one?

mois25

Threads
I was just wondering how far the definition of a lawn goes. Is there a specific dimension or you can still have one acre of well-maintained grass and still call it a lawn?

jenkinsph

Threads
I would think it stops being a lawn when you get to the edge of it.:laughing:

Did you look up the definition of "lawn" before you posted this query?
How about cultivated grass that is closely mowed. My lawn is alot bigger than an acre, Versailles stretches out for miles.

NickNack

Threads
A lawn is however much you want to mow. What I like is a yard, rather than a lawn. Our yard when I was a kid had some lawn, some field, some garden and some woods.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was just wondering how far the definition of a lawn goes. Is there a specific dimension or you can still have one acre of well-maintained grass and still call it a lawn?

Ponder this question: How far can you walk on to a lawn?:rolleyes:

SallyA

Threads
If you maintain an acre and call it your lawn, then it's your lawn. I think what you're asking is how big a lawn is reasonable. To me, and this is only my opinion. I think anything over an acre or so is a nicely kept field rather than a lawn. I don't think there are any hard and fast "rules" to how big a lawn can be, though.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think anything over an acre or so is a nicely kept field rather than a lawn.

I have to agree as I have "a nicely kept field"... :smile:KennyV

EverGreen

Threads
Either when it dies or when it's more than a football field. What would you call it if it was more than 2 acres? I would still call it my lawn.

jenkinsph

Threads

Since you started this thread have you looked up the definition of "lawn"?

KeithAlbert

Threads
My "Lawn" is 3 acres. It's what I mow on a weekly or more basis. My fields are a few more acres of which I hay twice a year. Thats mowed too I guess for the purpose of bailing. So I would say if you maintain it weekly as a groomed growth than it would qualify as a lawn. The white house has a lawn that is several acres as well.