Which type of gas would you buy for your 2 cycle equipment?

Which Type of Gas Would you Buy for Your 2 Cycle Equipment?

• Regular Non Ethanol

Votes: 48 69.6%
  • 93 With Ethanol

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • 89 With Ethanol

Votes: 13 18.8%

• Total voters

SRJMow

Threads
  • / Which type of gas would you buy for your 2 cycle equipment?
I had problems after using some five month old gas for my Craftsman chainsaw and had to replace the spark plug and fuel filter. From now on I plan on using Craftsman 40:1 2-Cycle Fuel Mix.
It only costs $5.49 a quart. That is enough to meet my needs seeing I never use up the gallon that I mix. I only use the chainsaw to remove a few old bushes, small trees or fallen branches. Other than that it sits around for a long time between uses.
The pre-mixed fuel lasts two years and uses synthetic oil. I will update everyone on how it works in the spring when I remove a couple small trees in the back of my father's place. It will be nice to not worry about the fuel going bad after only a few months!

The spark plug I removed was fouled up a bit. Also Craftsman stuck a Chinese plug (Torch) in it instead of a Champion plug that they recommend in their manual. What's up with that?
It looked cheap.
I replaced it with a new Champion plug.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had problems after using some five month old gas for my Craftsman chainsaw and had to replace the spark plug and fuel filter. From now on I plan on using Craftsman 40:1 2-Cycle Fuel Mix.
It only costs $5.49 a quart. That is enough to meet my needs seeing I never use up the gallon that I mix. I only use the chainsaw to remove a few old bushes, small trees or fallen branches. Other than that it sits around for a long time between uses.
The pre-mixed fuel lasts two years and uses synthetic oil. I will update everyone on how it works in the spring when I remove a couple small trees in the back of my father's place. It will be nice to not worry about the fuel going bad after only a few months!

The spark plug I removed was fouled up a bit. Also Craftsman stuck a Chinese plug (Torch) in it instead of a Champion plug that they recommend in their manual. What's up with that?
It looked cheap.

Theres nothing wrong with Torch spark plugs. You might have ruined it when using that 5 month old 2 cycle gas. 2 cycle gas stays fresh for only 60-90 days without using stabilizer.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
It looked cheap.

I wouldnt worry about the Torch spark plug. I find them very reliable and will out last most popular brand named plug.
Briggs and Stratton own brand plug is a Torch plug but everyone still thinks they are Champions.

I can honestly say iv had none fail over 2-3 years supplying.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wouldnt worry about the Torch spark plug. I find them very reliable and will out last most popular brand named plug.
Briggs and Stratton own brand plug is a Torch plug but everyone still thinks they are Champions.

I can honestly say iv had none fail over 2-3 years supplying.

Same here. I havent had one fail me yet either. Had many champions fail me in past.

SRJMow

Threads
Same here. I havent had one fail me yet either. Had many champions fail me in past.

Never heard of Torch before. Thanks for the info! I am pretty sure the problems I had were caused by trying to use up the old fuel. I will not do that again. :ashamed:

The old fuel no doubt helped to foul up the plug and possibly restrict the flow of fuel through the filter. Good to know that the Torch plug is a good brand. I use NGK for my Honda mowers and Echo string trimmer. Currently my snowblower has a Briggs platinum plug in it that I will change at the end of this season.

Let me know if you have a recommendation for the best spark plug to use in my Simplicity snowblower (1524p). I had planned on replacing it with another Briggs platinum plug (5066k). Is that platinum plug a Torch? I would welcome any advice regarding the most trouble free brands. I don't mind spending a premium for that sort of stuff. I hope that using pre-mix fuel will help to eliminate future problems with the chainsaw. I use 50-1 fuel with my Echo trimmer, and I think I will try out a pre-mix fuel with that as well. I have not had any issues with the Echo trimmer, but I use that on a more regular basis. But I usually have to switch to using my electric trimmer towards the end of the summer rather than mixing up another gallon at the end of August and tossing more than half of it out in the fall. The pre-mix seems like a possible solution, if it works.

Additional Info: Nobody commented on whether the Briggs platinum plug is any good or not so I did a little research of my own. Seems like the regular spark plugs that Briggs sells are made in China (country of origin). Probably a rebranded Torch as pugaltitude stated. And the quality is supposed to be good. The platinum plug that Briggs sells is made in the USA, at least for now. I have not had any problems using the platinum plug, and it gets good reviews. The snowblower starts up first pull and runs smooth. So I still plan to replace my spark plug with the Briggs plug it came with when I tune it up this spring.

Last edited:

panabiker

Threads

It sure looks that way, seeing that most all the car dealers now have or are prepared for E85 with there FFV's there selling and with the stations popping up more and more all the time I'd say there's a good chance especially if they do away with the E10. It just doesn't make sense to me that if it wasn't going that way why Ford, GM, and Chrysler are already selling FFV's and have been for a while?

Maybe not quite yet
Ethanol makers face obstacles to expanding

The E85 FFV had been in development for quite a few years and the added cost of accommodating E85 is not that much for new vehicles so the auto makers are doing it as a selling point since it can use non-ethanol fuel just as well. And the dealers are telling the potential buyers that FFVs are better because non-FFVs have reliability problems with ethanol additives while the FFVs "LOVE ethanol".

Threads
My blower, and trimmer both say to use 89% or higher octane.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
This old rally I run 115 octane has a 17.5 Tecumseh been bored 40 over with a Keith black piston. Getting about 25 hp

image-2001382729.jpg

panabiker

Threads
This old rally I run 115 octane has a 17.5 Tecumseh been bored 40 over with a Keith black piston. Getting about 25 hp

View attachment 18533

115 octane? That's definitely not gasoline. Toluene or pure Ethanol may go that high.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
115 octane? That's definitely not gasoline. Toluene or pure Ethanol may go that high.

No it's gas.
We can get 120 at the track