Bow blade chain saws

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do they still make a bow for chain saws? Had a guy asking me about them recently. I have not seen one for sale in a lot of years.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
They used them in northern NY state to cut pulp wood in the earlier days. They have done away with the pulp factory's and logging company's don't use chain saws to cut trees anymore. I can't see the home owner use for one so its something of history.

cashman

Threads
The bows were used mostly for limbing a tree. They would use a straight bar to fell then the bows for limbing which took more time and effort. With a bow you didn't get the chain down in the dirt as easily. A lot of those old saws had a gear driven chain, not direct drive like most saws are now. They were big heavy monsters! One that comes to mind was the Mac 35. It had the crankshaft north to south instead of east to west like they are now.

Parkmower

Threads
I've never seen one of those and I've been using saws for 15years. Never even seen one in an estate sale garage(I frequent these). Can someone explain the advantage? They look like a PITA

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've never seen one of those and I've been using saws for 15years. Never even seen one in an estate sale garage(I frequent these). Can someone explain the advantage? They look like a PITA

We had several when I was growing up. XL 12 Homelite. Homelite 102 were two we used for firewood. Everybody in the pulpwood industry used them as well. Big Poulans and Homelite 55 and 66.

The major advantage was cutting wood into lengths. You could stand straighter. They did not pinch as easy as a straight rail. They worked fairly well cutting a tree down as well. There were some kickback issues if not handled properly. Personally I would like to have one at times if I have to cut firewood.

possum

Threads
The REA used them when I was a kid. Could always spot them from blocks away by not only the growling of the engines but the smoke drifting out of the green growth.

cashman

Threads
They used an odd for now pitch chain back then. I think it was a 7/16"? Don't know if you can still buy that? At one point in time, most of the loggers had switched over to the modern (can't remember but think a 3/8" pitch) here in the USA. The good old days of Oregon and Carlton! I'm sure there were others out there too.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
A couple of years ago I had 30 acres of woods clear cut. The logging company that did the work never used a chainsaw. It was all done with large equipment. They took everything brush and all. All the junk wood they chipped up and put it in a large truck. All the good logs they shipped to Canada.