New Honda HRX217VKA

mucksiegooma

Threads
I just got a new Honda HRX217VKA and just love it. I have only used it a couple of times and it is time to put it away for the season. Should I run the
gas out of the carburetor or leave some in so the seals don't dry up? I have added Sea Foam. I also was turned onto Startron, which is an enzyme type
fuel stabilizer. The John Deer dealer, who also sells Harleys, recommended it. I guess the bigger Harleys have trouble running good on the E-85 gas which is in most stations here in Minnesota. I am going to start using it, along with non-oxy gas in all of my small engines.

SRJMow

Threads
I just got a new Honda HRX217VKA and just love it. I have only used it a couple of times and it is time to put it away for the season. Should I run the
gas out of the carburetor or leave some in so the seals don't dry up? I have added Sea Foam. I also was turned onto Startron, which is an enzyme type
fuel stabilizer. The John Deer dealer, who also sells Harleys, recommended it. I guess the bigger Harleys have trouble running good on the E-85 gas which is in most stations here in Minnesota. I am going to start using it, along with non-oxy gas in all of my small engines.

I run my mower until it uses up all the gas, then I drain the carburetor further by opening the drain screw that is on it for that purpose, drain the little bit of gas left in the carburetor bowl, and then screw the drain plug back up.
If you are storing outside in an unheated shed which might be subject to a lot of moisture then you may want to take off the spark plug and put about a tablespoon full of oil in the cylinder and give it a crank or two to distribute the oil, and then pull gently until you feel resistance and slowly return the starter grip. Per the manual this should close the valves so moisture will not enter the engine cylinder. I store my mower in a heated attached garage, so I do not bother putting oil in the spark plug cylinder.
So far that has worked fine for me. Starts up great in the spring. I always like to clean up the machine before storing it, and wash out the bag attachment and let it dry out good.

Threads
I store my HYA in the garage. It is not heated, but it's attached to the house so it doesn't get as cold. I keep a little bit of gas in the mower, but I run it weekly (for a few mins.) all winter just to keep it running well.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads

The gaskets in the carburetor can stay dry (no fuel in the system) for a long, long, LONG time. You're more likely to have problems from decayed fuel left in the tank or carburetor, even with stabilizers or preservatives, especially with any fuel that has any amount of ethanol. Strongly suggest you drain out all the fuel (run the engine dry) when storing the mower for more than 30 days. Don't leave any fuel in the tank, and only use fresh fuel in the mower.

stygz

Threads

E-85 in a Harley? They must mean E-10 (10% ethanol). The startron stuff seems to be decent. I need to drain the gas tank on the HRX. I cannot remember if there is stabilizer in the fuel. I did run the fuel out of the carb.

Funny John deere and Harley sharing a show room