How Sharp Should Blades Be?

Hustling

Threads
The thing is that a razor sharp blade only stays razor sharp until it cuts grass then you end up with a flat edge. The factory edge and pitch has been found after many study's to be the best for the grass and longer life of the blade.

A good good blade will last me about a month. Around 300 grass cuts. I use them till the fins get to thin.
If I was to sharping my blades razor sharp I would get maybe 50 cuts out of them.
A pine cone will chip a razors edge.

I agree with Carscw on this one... maintaining the angle is very important but razor sharp will only leave your blades chipped or folded over easier. You want it to be about like a butter knife - you can run your thumb along it but it won't really cut you - it will cut grass just fine though. You will get a better cut for longer. I had an old timer who owned a mower repair shop teach me how to sharpen blades. You also don't want to get the blade too hot when sharpening them. Use light pressure and go back and forth several passes as not to get it too hot. If you get it too hot you will weaken the steel. Maintain the angle - very important.

How often you sharpen depends on - how many rocks etc. you have hit, how much grass you cut. I typically sharpen after about 40hrs. of mowing and blades are never too bad. Check your blades regularly - while your cleaning out the deck.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I agree with Carscw on this one... maintaining the angle is very important but razor sharp will only leave your blades chipped or folded over easier. You want it to be about like a butter knife - you can run your thumb along it but it won't really cut you - it will cut grass just fine though. You will get a better cut for longer. I had an old timer who owned a mower repair shop teach me how to sharpen blades. You also don't want to get the blade too hot when sharpening them. Use light pressure and go back and forth several passes as not to get it too hot. If you get it too hot you will weaken the steel. Maintain the angle - very important. How often you sharpen depends on - how many rocks etc. you have hit, how much grass you cut. I typically sharpen after about 40hrs. of mowing and blades are never too bad. Check your blades regularly - while your cleaning out the deck.

^^^^^^ agree 100%

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Since I only have one rider with blades of .200" thick I have not sharpened the thinner ones, but have seen them on display at wal mart. They can't sell them because they are over priced IMO, but there they sit with special red tags , year after year. Anyway most are much thinner than .200," making sharpening easier and quicker, but more prone to over heating on a grinder. The thin ones look like they are made for easier (?file) sharpening. Such thin blades probably survive machine sharpening only with the expensive , softer grinding wheels, called pink and white wheels by the pros. Meanwhile, the lowly grey H Frt $8 wheel keeps on grinding good edges for me. :2cents: