Dixie Chopper not what it used to be.

Timberwolf530

Forum Newbie
Threads
Owned a Dixie Chopper City Slicker 2500 for about 10 years. In the last 2 years we had to replace one hydro pump, a bent valve, and a muffler. Up to that time, it was just regular maintenance & wear parts. It was used to mow about 20 acres weekly, so it got a workout in those 10 years. Traded it for an Excalibur 3374 June 2012, and that turned out to be one of the biggest mistakes ever. The new mower has less than 100 hours on it, and it leaks almost everywhere a hose connects to something, which on a Dixie Chopper is a bunch of different places. After about a week of use, it would run for awhile then die. They came and got it, and it came back a week later. Worked for about a week, then the same thing. That finally got fixed, then it broke a belt. Fixed that and the electric mower lift quit (just a loose wire, but still had to find it). The metal gate that covers the mower discharge would never stay up no matter how much I tightened the screw, so I ended up just taking that off. This was all in the first year of use, and the thing is that we hardly used it due to the drout. This year it broke another belt, then seemed to be relatively trouble free until the motor let go last week. The stickers that tell you mower height have all fallen off, the front tires won't hold air, even after green sliming them. It sounds like a shotgun going off every time you shut it down, and it's hard to start. Also, when you drive it full speed the front wheels shake so bad, you have to slow down almost to a stop, and then accelerate back to only about 70% maximum, or it starts all over again. I wouldn't wish this pile of garbage on my worst enemy. Anyway, I just thought I would try to help others see what kind of problems I've had, so maye they can avoid the headaches.

Threads
Wow! :eek: You have had a very bad experiences with Dixie Chopper! :thumbdown: Are you going to "stick it out" or buy another mower?

PVHIII

Threads
Trade it in for a Hustler...YOU WON'T BE DISSAPOINTED..and if you were to have issues that are this serious...Hustler would have replaced your mower..trust me they stand behind their equipment..that's why I stick with them...they stick with me...wouldn't own anything else when it comes to ZTR'S

edd

Threads
i looked at dixie chopper before i bought big dog diablo.....didnt like the look of them but was looking for a faster cutting machine.......they remind me of a barbeque grill on wheels....local dealer has about 30 sitting out front and all are marked down thousands from msrp....they have been out there so long that some of the decks are showing rust......talked to a man who had an old DC and he said it was the toughest mower he ever owned but it looked to be at least 10 years old

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
Thats strange you've had all those problems. We've run them commercially for years and other then belts occasionally (about every 200 hours) i don't have to do anything to them. I'm sorry to hear you've had that many issues with them. Mine do leak from the oil cooler until i put different hose clamps on it.