carburetor studs size.

hotrod351

Threads
i have a 10 hp briggs and stratton and need to know what size the carb, studs are, they look like torx head.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-27 at 6.27.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-27 at 6.27.57 AM.png
    32 KB · Views: 16

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Better to post up model and type numbers.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
You'll have to get them from Briggs, or aftermarket, no one else will make a bolt even close to that.

hotrod351

Threads
i need the socket size for them. its a 10hp model 204412 type 0147E1

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
A # 5 Torx socket fits the Briggs carb studs. This size is not normally found in Torx socket sets. You can also use two 1/4X20 hex nuts tightened together with two 7/16" box wrenches to remove and reinstall the carb studs.
I bought a few #5 Torx sockets on Amazon that were reasonably priced.
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not with you when you ask about stud, then go on about socket size, are you trying to remove them, you can do this with a set of mole grips, or do you need the nut size, the stud part number is 694869 and like the post above mentioned from B&S dealers, but they do come up on E-bay from time to time.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most auto parts stores sell the Torx sockets. That is where I bought my Torx socket set

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Many newer Briggs engines use the carb mounting bolt/stud that the OP put as an attachment. On the tip of this bolt/stud is a male Torx T25 tip that needs to have a female Torx socket put on it to remove the bolts/studs that hold the carb in place. This socket is an E-5 Torx socket.
The usual configuration is that nuts are last installed to hold the air filter assembly in place after the bolts/studs have been tightened with the E-5 Torx socket. The shoulder on the bolts/studs is what tightens down the carb.
When I get Briggs engines in for service I usually find the tip of these blots/studs damaged or the threads tore up from Vise Grips having been used to remove them. Fortunately several local power equipment dealers stock all of these bolts/studs so I can get them easily when needed.
An E-6 Torx socket is usually the smallest found in sets and using an E-6 socket will tear up the tip of the bolt/stud as it is too big. The E-5 Torx sockets that I have are 1/4" drive.
Mad Mackie in CT

hotrod351

Threads
thanks. waiting for a mag and for some reason i had to loosen the carb to get the flywheel shroud off, no biggy. cant wait to get the mag and get it running.