Buying Advice V-idler pulley

silver1

Threads
I would like to replace the idler pulley on my Sears 11 36 (917.255370) rider. It makes a lot of noise when the clutch is released.
I do not have the deck on it. The sears part is APY 1649J or 105307X. They want over $40 for it. I found one by ROTARY for $15.75,
but I do not have any info on that company. Oregon does not list a part replacement. Any other place have GOOD replacement pulley?

Attachments

• pulley.GIF
    pulley.GIF
    5.1 KB · Views: 10

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The two Main dimensions on any pulley are: diameter and center bore.
Beyond that offset belt width & material type used to make it, groove angle.
The outside diameter and center bore are Easy to measure, there are Not a lot of different groove angles used on mowers, especially on idler pulleys.
The offset can be achieved using universal replacement pulleys and spacers, (washers)...
The material used is usually going to be: various materials plastic, stamped steel, cast iron or aluminum... on a mower usually Not critical.
check google: https://www.google.com/#q=v+groove+idler+pulleys
You will find a LOT of suppliers, this is Not as mysterious as some would lead you to believe. it will be easy to locate a very Good and Low priced Idler Pulley.
:smile:KennyV

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I went to tractor supply and got a pulley and a bushing that works just fine.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I lot of the idler pulleys I just replace the bearing and use the original pulley over. Just drill out the rivets or spot welds and put them back together with screws. its a lot cheaper.

silver1

Threads
The two Main dimensions on any pulley are: diameter and center bore.
Beyond that offset belt width & material type used to make it, groove angle.
The outside diameter and center bore are Easy to measure, there are Not a lot of different groove angles used on mowers, especially on idler pulleys.
The offset can be achieved using universal replacement pulleys and spacers, (washers)...
The material used is usually going to be: various materials plastic, stamped steel, cast iron or aluminum... on a mower usually Not critical.
check google: https://www.google.com/#q=v+groove+idler+pulleys
You will find a LOT of suppliers, this is Not as mysterious as some would lead you to believe. it will be easy to locate a very Good and Low priced Idler Pulley.

Thanks for the reply. I just know that not all bearing are the same. I just don't want a china knock off.
I think the STENS 280-297 will do.

silver1

Threads
I lot of the idler pulleys I just replace the bearing and use the original pulley over. Just drill out the rivets or spot welds and put them back together with screws. its a lot cheaper.

I guess you have a machine shop to help with that kind of repair. I don't have the tools for that. So I need to buy at a good price for great replacement parts.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not just quibbling over reality... But:
As far as getting a Bearing made in China...
a. Almost All bearings are made in China.
b. China is able to make to specification.
c. if you are overly concerned as to Chinese quality, your life will be full of disappointment... Because of the two mentioned things above.

As to the need of a machine shop to remove & replace just the bearing as reynoldston suggested... (that is what I normally do also)
You really only need basic hand tools. It is an easy swap out... And you just 'May' find someone locally that still has old inventory in the bearing you need, not made in the China. (That will work fine, it is just going to be hard to find older inventory).

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Idler pulleys used on today yard equipment as Kenny said are all made in China, only way to get one made in USA is to go to an industrial supplier and they probably won't have any. Tools needed to replace the bearings only are a portable drill and a vice. Only thing is sometimes it's just cheaper to purchase the entire pulley new.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I guess you have a machine shop to help with that kind of repair. I don't have the tools for that. So I need to buy at a good price for great replacement parts.

Just a cordless hand drill, drill bits, and a punch and hammer. Very easy job A couple of 2X4 wood blocks to lay the pulley on helps make it a little easier. Its a long ways from a machine shop. Its just as good as a new pulley. Trying to save you money.

silver1

Threads
Just a cordless hand drill, drill bits, and a punch and hammer. Very easy job A couple of 2X4 wood blocks to lay the pulley on helps make it a little easier. Its a long ways from a machine shop. Its just as good as a new pulley. Trying to save you money.

Cordless = y
drill bits = some
punch = 3
hammer = y
vise = no
FLU = Y(sick):rolleyes:
Rain = y

I would think a drill press and vise would be best.