F engine round steel muffler. Use sealer?

Phototone

Threads
The typical "F" series muffler, round steel, bolts to an aluminum muffler plate with 3 bolts around the crankshaft, with a crankshaft "support" plate. It is just a pressure seal around the outside edge. Other than cleaning the mating surfaces, does any one use any type of sealer when refurbishing and decarbonizing, in replacing the muffler??

Hammerdown

Threads
Hello
Originally I think that there was an asbestos Rope style seal used in that area. I would surmise since we can no longer get our hand's on any asbestos, a Good High Temperature sealent would work in it's Place like RTV from permatex. I hope this helps, Hammerdown

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello
Originally I think that there was an asbestos Rope style seal used in that area. I would surmise since we can no longer get our hand's on any asbestos, a Good High Temperature sealent would work in it's Place like RTV from permatex. I hope this helps, Hammerdown

I have been there and tried it, even the high temp RTV will burn out. If you go to a auto parts store they should have a special sealer for exhaust systems. When it dries it very hard.

beg

Threads
you must be refering to muffler putty and I think that would work Is it important to have a good seal there?my commercial f motor did not have any seal there as I noticed when I took the muffler off to grill it on my weber.that motor runs pretty wet and has low rpm.carb has been cleaned but its a plastic walbro not the metal one it came with from the factory.Is this no seal on the muffler causing this?

impalass

Threads
you must be refering to muffler putty and I think that would work Is it important to have a good seal there?my commercial f motor did not have any seal there as I noticed when I took the muffler off to grill it on my weber.that motor runs pretty wet and has low rpm.carb has been cleaned but its a plastic walbro not the metal one it came with from the factory.Is this no seal on the muffler causing this?
I had a hole in one muffler and it did not affect the rpm. RPM should be 2900 + or - 300.