Is a robotic mower eco-friendly?

mois25

Threads
I have always likened purchasing a lawn mower to the hassle of choosing what car to buy. With a greater variety, you have gas propelled, electric and/or riding mowers/tractors.

There are claims that a robotic mower comes with the advantage of being environment friendly..how true is this claim?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
There are a lot of variables with the manufacture, use and maintenance plus the ultimate disposal of any thing.

BUT if by robotic you are referring to electric powered mowers, then as a 'general' statement, you could say an electric mower is more environment friendly than a gasoline or diesel rig.

This is ONLY addressing the environment friendly aspect... :smile:KennyV

BGC

Threads
Yes, the electric mowers are more eco friendly and the thought of a robotic mower intrigues me but I can't imagine it being more than trouble where I live.

jenkinsph

Threads
Whether it is eco friendly or not, whether it is interesting and inovative is paled by the dangerous consequences of it getting out of hand....literally. Anything as dangerous as a lawnmower needs direct control and supervision. When you consider the safety features on new pushmowers it is evident that blade control is a very important consideration.

Now I like robotics and find the technology interesting I just don't wan't them running around my house swinging blades or knives.:biggrin:

mois25

Threads
I like your point of view jenkisph, you raise a very vital point and one that people need to keenly consider. The idea of it getting out of hand is real and hazardous but I also guess some risks are worth taking.

BlueGrass

Threads
Something just doesn't sound right about a robotic mower. I mow my grass to get away from everyone in the house. It's my time to have a little me time. No kids, no spouse, just me out in the open air without a care in the world.

greengrass

Threads
I love all things geek and all things that make my life easier but I have to wonder if these would be anything similar to the Roomba, that little vac that cleans your house. Ours died about two months in and after that I kind of gave up the idea that smaller robotics work as good as larger ones do.