Open to run, Close to run CD coil packs for F-engine mowers

Phototone

Threads
  • / Open to run, Close to run CD coil packs for F-engine mowers
Open to run, close to run CD coils.
Early F-engine Lawnboys used a CD coil pack that required the wire terminal on the back to be grounded to run (close to run), later F-engine and all newer Lawnboy 2-cycle engines use the open to run style, where the terminal is only grounded to kill engine. While some later F-engine coils work on early F-engine mowers the on-off switch function is reversed. You have to set the switch to "off" to start and run the mower. Are there new early-style coils made?? Or do we have to use the later F-style coil for all F-engine repairs?

beg

Threads
in the modern world of production manufacturing how did they get away eith that one?I have one of them that "off" is on and was going to correct it thinking it was a wiring goof by the former owner but now that I know it was done by the factory I will just leave it alone

Phototone

Threads
in the modern world of production manufacturing how did they get away eith that one?I have one of them that "off" is on and was going to correct it thinking it was a wiring goof by the former owner but now that I know it was done by the factory I will just leave it alone

It wasn't done by the factory. WHEN your mower was new, the switch was correct, ON was ON, and OFF was OFF. It appears your mower has a later model Coilpak on it. Since it is the only choice it is acceptable to keep the old boy running. It was not factory, rather it was repair part that changed the coil functioning.

beg

Threads
thank you for the info and yeah now that I think about it lawnboy would not do that.