Choosing the best type of grass for your lawn

mois25

Threads
Apparently how much time you want to spend on your lawn, both in the near and far future is an important factor in determining the best type of grass. Will it be an exhibit, average or just anything that just covers the ground?

The fact is that the more perfect the lawn, the higher the maintenance requirements. This is something I had not looked at seriously before.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You are right..
I am most concerned with drought resistance, (I do NOT water), it is going to have to be rather hardy as there are so many acres of it, the only attention it really gets is cut regularly...
I suspect a good low maintenance GROUND COVER is the best definition for my ideal grass... :smile:KennyV

Harriet

Threads
We built a house a few years ago on an undeveloped lot. That means landscaping has been done incrementally from scratch. I've kept the grounds as natural as possible and have worked with what was already here. I put naturally occurring grass seed where a meadow had been (until it got dug up during construction) and I have some small patches of grass in among my shrub beds under large trees. I need a type of grass that is shade tolerant. I want it to be tidy and weed free, but I don't slave over it.

jenkinsph

Threads
I like my lawn and enjoy working with it, I like to manicure it to some extent. It was an overgrown lot with weeds, some grass and scrub brush with a little trash sprinkled over it before I reworked it. I chose Tall Fescue because our weather is cool most of the year and this works well for me. I have sprinklers and use them as needed during the year. It is fertilized frequently and soil checks are tested by my next door neighbor who works for the USDA. He commented last November that it is greatly improved over two years ago when we started this project.

mois25

Threads
I agree that the drought resistant type would be the choice for many people especially when you have a large and completely green lawn. Most importantly, what matters is what purpose you have the lawn for.