Dealer called me nuts

jay stortini

Threads
Dealer freaked out when I mention I was looking at mid grade zero turns toro MX5060 or gravely zt just to name a couple. "Don't even look at those there is no such thing as mid grade it's either residential or commercial if your gonna spend $4000 then just get the entry level for $2500"
I told him I was just finishing my first year and did mostly residential but I plan on taking a couple bigger lots next year not a ton and I will see how it goes!
He said it does not matter" if your not gonna spend at least $7000 on at least a 2000 series you will regret it and you MX or Zt won't last you half a season"
I said I don't have $7000 plus tax he said finance or stick with residential.
I felt like he was a real D BAG even if he was right:(
Comments please.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
He's a salesman and I hope you are a adult. Very easy word to say NO and maybe a goodbye after that. He is thinking only one thing how much money can I make. You know what you want and I would say go to a dealer that will help you. If you really want to use this dealer just be a hard *** and tell it like it is.

jay stortini

Threads
Ya I was just checking out another dealer that I spotted near my daughters gymnastics club. I like getting all kind of opinions so I thought I would stop in there. He was a lot diff than the dealer that is close to where I am:/
The dealer I usually stop by and talk to is fantastic. I just had time to kill and thought I would stop in and talk lawn mowers. He did have some good points tho.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dealer freaked out when I mention I was looking at mid grade zero turns toro MX5060 or gravely zt just to name a couple. "Don't even look at those there is no such thing as mid grade it's either residential or commercial if your gonna spend $4000 then just get the entry level for $2500"
I told him I was just finishing my first year and did mostly residential but I plan on taking a couple bigger lots next year not a ton and I will see how it goes!
He said it does not matter" if your not gonna spend at least $7000 on at least a 2000 series you will regret it and you MX or Zt won't last you half a season"
I said I don't have $7000 plus tax he said finance or stick with residential.
I felt like he was a real D BAG even if he was right:(
Comments please.

What brand was that dealer selling??? Most likely not Toro or Gravely:0)
Based upon what I've been reading in your threads, though, I would recommend that you step up to a Gravely ZT HD(right now a 48", regularly @ $5,599 MSRP is on sale at my local dealer for $4,999). On the Toro see what you can get the Titan ZX or MX series in a 48"(will probably still be in the $5k range). These upgraded Toro and Gravely models will have the ZT-3100 commercial graded trannies, opposed to the Timecutter MX or Gravely ZT(which, like pointed out to you by user Ric about avoiding the EZT trannies). Aside from buying a used commercial these upgraded high-end residentials if you are buying new will set you up for those yards up to a couple of acres that you are wanting to get into(even the Gravely ZT HD comes with a 1-year Commercial Warranty....this is an indication it will handle your business!!

P.S.
BTW, he was wrong....if carefully maintained the Toro MX or Gravely ZT would do well, I am just suggesting a step up to make sure they last until you can afford to really go with a new commercial model down the road(3-5 years easily with the high-end residential models).

jay stortini

Threads
What brand was that dealer selling??? Most likely not Toro or Gravely:0) Based upon what I've been reading in your threads, though, I would recommend that you step up to a Gravely ZT HD(right now a 48", regularly @ $5,599 MSRP is on sale at my local dealer for $4,999). On the Toro see what you can get the Titan ZX or MX series in a 48"(will probably still be in the $5k range). These upgraded Toro and Gravely models will have the ZT-3100 commercial graded trannies, opposed to the Timecutter MX or Gravely ZT(which, like pointed out to you by user Ric about avoiding the EZT trannies). Aside from buying a used commercial these upgraded high-end residentials if you are buying new will set you up for those yards up to a couple of acres that you are wanting to get into(even the Gravely ZT HD comes with a 1-year Commercial Warranty....this is an indication it will handle your business!! P.S. BTW, he was wrong....if carefully maintained the Toro MX or Gravely ZT would do well, I am just suggesting a step up to make sure they last until you can afford to really go with a new commercial model down the road(3-5 years easily with the high-end residential models).

Thanks dj sweet reply:)
I do really like the feel of the gravely hd zt and there is a dealer near by with one on hiss lot:)
And that dealer was selling toro and exmark I walked in and to told him I was thinking mx5060 or mx4260 and before I could even get out 5060 he cut me right off and went on a rant it was actually pretty funny how nutty he got.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks dj sweet reply:)
I do really like the feel of the gravely hd zt and there is a dealer near by with one on hiss lot:)
And that dealer was selling toro and exmark I walked in and to told him I was thinking mx5060 or mx4260 and before I could even get out 5060 he cut me right off and went on a rant it was actually pretty funny how nutty he got.

Yeah, apparently he wasn't sensitive enough to your needs to realize he could probably put you in one of the Titan series within your budget that would meet your needs and definitely for a LOT less than a $7K commercial Z-Master:0(
That would have turned me off too and steered me towards the Gravely dealer if that visit was more amicable:0)
BTW, my dealer sells Scag and high-end Residential & Commercial Cub Cadets in addition to the Gravely line. He never pressured me one way or the other and since my purchase has given me VERY nice discounts on buying accessories for my Gravely($35 off on a mulch kit and $40 off on a striper kit). Sometimes a good dealer is MORE important than the brand of ZTR you are buying!!!! There are a LOT of good ZTR machines to be bought, but you have learned first-hand not all dealers rate as high as the equipment they sell. Hope you find exactly what you need for your growing business(including a dealer that will take good care of you after the purchase)!!!!

jay stortini

Threads
Yeah, apparently he wasn't sensitive enough to your needs to realize he could probably put you in one of the Titan series within your budget that would meet your needs and definitely for a LOT less than a $7K commercial Z-Master:0( That would have turned me off too and steered me towards the Gravely dealer if that visit was more amicable:0) BTW, my dealer sells Scag and high-end Residential & Commercial Cub Cadets in addition to the Gravely line. He never pressured me one way or the other and since my purchase has given me VERY nice discounts on buying accessories for my Gravely($35 off on a mulch kit and $40 off on a striper kit). Sometimes a good dealer is MORE important than the brand of ZTR you are buying!!!! There are a LOT of good ZTR machines to be bought, but you have learned first-hand not all dealers rate as high as the equipment they sell. Hope you find exactly what you need for your growing business(including a dealer that will take good care of you after the purchase)!!!!

Ya there is a dealer close to me. And he is a lot like what you describe of your dealer he has been doing it for 40+ years and he is nothing but helpful and has so many diff option and he weighs them for me and even said I could take mowers home and try them out any time;)
He sell country clipper, gravely , snapper, toro and he can get anything else I might want for example I showed interest in the hustler a while ago and he does not sell them but he can get it if I want from another dealer he knows.
He has even sent business my way. I am buying from him of course he has Been good to me:)
I just happen to stop in another dealer when I brought my daughter to gymnastics in another city, thought I would kill some time and get some more education:/ ends up I appreciate the dealer close to home a lot more now:)
Hey gravely cuts nice?

What's your take on this video?

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/ea7qrjMg3AY

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ya there is a dealer close to me. And he is a lot like what you describe of your dealer he has been doing it for 40+ years and he is nothing but helpful and has so many diff option and he weighs them for me and even said I could take mowers home and try them out any time;)
He sell country clipper, gravely , snapper, toro and he can get anything else I might want for example I showed interest in the hustler a while ago and he does not sell them but he can get it if I want from another dealer he knows.
He has even sent business my way. I am buying from him of course he has Been good to me:)
I just happen to stop in another dealer when I brought my daughter to gymnastics in another city, thought I would kill some time and get some more education:/ ends up I appreciate the dealer close to home a lot more now:)
Hey gravely cuts nice?

What's your take on this video?

Check out this video on YouTube:

John Deere EZ Trak Challenge Cut Quality - YouTube

After watching that video closely(comparing the JD, with a stamped deck, to a Cub Cadet, with a stamped deck and a Toro, with a fabricated deck) I'm having deja vu from my visit last fall to my local John Deere dealer. I told the salesman I had a $6k-$7k budget, was interested in a 52-54" deck and he showed me the EZTRAK Z655(MSRP of $6,149). I told him...this thing has a stamped deck and all the other ZTR's I am looking at in this price range have fabricated decks. Then he tells me "John Deere has PROVEN that a stamped deck, with it's rounded corners, gives a better cut than a ZTR with a welded fabricated deck, with sharply boxed corners". Soooooo, I ask him......then why do your $10k-$12K ZTR's have fabricated decks? He got real quiet:0)
I made my mind up right there that JD charges more for the green paint and JD decal than my Gravely dealer charges for the industrial grade components on a "fully commercial" Zero Turn!!! I would put the cut quality of my 52" Gravely Pro-Turn XDZ(stands for Xtra Durability Zero Turn) side by side up against the EZTRAK Z655 and I GUARANTEE you it would put the JD to shame. BTW, I was out-the-door in a 2012 Commercial Gravely for $6,800 which is what that JD would have cost me including tax, dealer prep and delivery. I have a 3Year/1,000 Hour Residential Warranty, 2-Year/1,000 Hour Commercial Warranty, 3-Year Spindle Warranty(cast iron spindles) and a Lifetime Frame/Deck Warranty.
Soooooooo, which ZTR would you have purchased?????
Stamped deck better cut than fabricated.....ask around....what a hoot:0)

jay stortini

Threads
After watching that video closely(comparing the JD, with a stamped deck, to a Cub Cadet, with a stamped deck and a Toro, with a fabricated deck) I'm having deja vu from my visit last fall to my local John Deere dealer. I told the salesman I had a $6k-$7k budget, was interested in a 52-54" deck and he showed me the EZTRAK Z655(MSRP of $6,149). I told him...this thing has a stamped deck and all the other ZTR's I am looking at in this price range have fabricated decks. Then he tells me "John Deere has PROVEN that a stamped deck, with it's rounded corners, gives a better cut than a ZTR with a welded fabricated deck, with sharply boxed corners". Soooooo, I ask him......then why do your $10k-$12K ZTR's have fabricated decks? He got real quiet:0) I made my mind up right there that JD charges more for the green paint and JD decal than my Gravely dealer charges for the industrial grade components on a "fully commercial" Zero Turn!!! I would put the cut quality of my 52" Gravely Pro-Turn XDZ(stands for Xtra Durability Zero Turn) side by side up against the EZTRAK Z655 and I GUARANTEE you it would put the JD to shame. BTW, I was out-the-door in a 2012 Commercial Gravely for $6,800 which is what that JD would have cost me including tax, dealer prep and delivery. I have a 3Year/1,000 Hour Residential Warranty, 2-Year/1,000 Hour Commercial Warranty, 3-Year Spindle Warranty(cast iron spindles) and a Lifetime Frame/Deck Warranty. Soooooooo, which ZTR would you have purchased????? Stamped deck better cut than fabricated.....ask around....what a hoot:0)

Ya plus the test is put on by john deer lol
Every time I read your posts I want a gravely:)

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ya plus the test is put on by john deer lol
Every time I read your posts I want a gravely:)

There a a LOT of good ZTR's available....but I've never looked back or second-guessed my purchase decision. Quality machines at a fair(but not cheap) price. When you look at one, compare the build, components, warranties and price.....they're hard to walk away from:0)