Mowing Straight

Grasshopp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Purchased a 2013 727K in June and have 25 hours on the machine. I've owned zero turns before purchasing the GH but find the GH difficult to mow in a straight line. It wants to wander excessively. I've tried mowing at various speeds but experienced little difference. The controls are less sensitive than my other zero turn mowers I've owned. The terrain is a bit rough. Could this contribute to the problem? When finished, looks like a drunken sailor mowed the lawn :confused2:.

Very frustrating. Any tips are appreciated. Thank you!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Rough terrain is tough to make a straight line in most mowers... If you have a fence line to guide from that helps, But if your making an open area cut you will likely have a problem. Pick a very distant object and aim for it, if you try to keep a steady speed while watching your distant target the worst results are probably going to be a curved line... then use that first line to 'guide' you on the next passes, with each you can make slight adjustments to get it near perfect... This is usually only going to be a problem when striping a lawn... But it can be a challenge. :smile:KennyV

chobbs1957

Threads
Purchased a 2013 727K in June and have 25 hours on the machine. I've owned zero turns before purchasing the GH but find the GH difficult to mow in a straight line. It wants to wander excessively. I've tried mowing at various speeds but experienced little difference. The controls are less sensitive than my other zero turn mowers I've owned. The terrain is a bit rough. Could this contribute to the problem? When finished, looks like a drunken sailor mowed the lawn :confused2:.

Very frustrating. Any tips are appreciated. Thank you!

Laughable method, :laughing:, perhaps, but I have been known to use a spool of twine to lay out a straight line before cutting the first pass. I use a screwdriver or twig to jab the first end in the ground, walk to a point on the other end while unspooling the line, pull it taunt, and secure the second to the ground. I then have a guide to align my left front wheel with while making the first cut through. It takes very little time, and allows for some much prettier streaks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you checked to see if your controls are adjusted properly? On a flat level surface, you should be able to push both handles fully forward and the unit should stay straight. If it does not go back to the dealer and have them adjust it. Second check your tire pressure. One tire off, especially a front one, can create all kinds of steering problems.

Grasshopp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check the tire pressure and attempt to make a straight pass on the driveway. If the mower still won't remain in a straight line, back to the dealer. :cool:

Raw Dodge

Threads
I'm not familiar with the GH ztr but I'll tell you the newer zero turns that have ground speeds over 12 mph are very sensitive to the controls.ive had dixie choppers for years and my 3 rd ztr, was just like you explain but it was also 4 mph faster....in time you adjust to it,but the older 8-10 mph machines are just away easier to pull a straight line with...maybe that's all it is,just need some time to adjust to the sensitivity of the levers,and high output pumps..

Steve0853

Threads
Both my zero turns are VERY sensitive to uneven ground. I have a 2003 GH 225 61 inch and a 2012 Scag Turf Tiger 61 inch. Even going down the paved road in front of my home, the slight crown of the road will cause both of them to pull towards the shoulder if both handles are pushed to the limit. I have to pull back on the left one a little bit.

If cutting grass on an uneven yard, I am always correcting to keep a straight line.