Repairs How to Change Flywheel Brake Pads on Honda HRU19M1 Lawn Mower?

dougone

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / How to Change Flywheel Brake Pads on Honda HRU19M1 Lawn Mower?
How to Change Flywheel Brake Pads on Honda HRU19M1 Lawn Mower (Engine is GCV160)

Can anyone explain or post pictures of how to change Flywheel Brake Pads on a Honda HRU19M1 lawn mower?

I am after specific information and hopefull a step by step guide.

The HRU19M1 has the GCV160 motor.

Thanks is advance!

Last edited:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: How to Change Flywheel Brake Pads on Honda HRU19M1 Lawn Mower (Engine is GCV160)

The HRU19M1 has the GCV160 motor.

The GCV160 (USA models, at least) is offered in three versions: Aluminum Flywheel, Iron Flywheel, and Electric Start.

The procedures to remove & replace the flywheel brake are different for each.

Can you find out which type of flywheel is on your machine or if it is electric start? I can share some pages from the USA shop manual with illustrations...

The short version:
1. Remove air cleaner and carburetor
2. Remove throttle control base and governor arm
3. Remove the fan cover/fuel tank
4. Remove the special nut holding the flywheel.
5. Use a flywheel puller to remove the flywheel.
6. The flywheel brake can now be removed and inspected. Brake shoe new is 6 mm, and the service limit is 3.0mm
7. Be sure to use a strap wrench and torque wrench to install the special nut for the flywheel, and set the torque to 75 N-m (55 lb-ft).

dougone

Forum Newbie
Threads
Robert,

You are a legend! Being a brand new mower, I suspect that it would be the aluminium flywheel.

Do you know whether you can just buy the brake shoe (pad) or whether you need to buy the entire flywheel brake assembly?

Do you know the part number for the brake shoe (pad)?

Lastly, can I expect reasonably life out of the brake pad? By that I mean, if I use my mower approx 30 times per year, will the brake pad last a few years? Just your educated guess will do.:confused2:

Thanks buddy.

Doug (down under)

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Robert,

You are a legend! Being a brand new mower, I suspect that it would be the aluminium flywheel.

Do you know whether you can just buy the brake shoe (pad) or whether you need to buy the entire flywheel brake assembly?

Do you know the part number for the brake shoe (pad)?

Lastly, can I expect reasonably life out of the brake pad? By that I mean, if I use my mower approx 30 times per year, will the brake pad last a few years? Just your educated guess will do.:confused2:

Thanks buddy.

Doug (down under)

Doug, I only have listings for USA models, so can't say for sure if it will work on your down-under-spec engine or not.

The brake (shoe) is sold as an assembly only, and the part number here in the USA is 75100-Z0L-901 ($16.26 USD). Again, I can't confirm that is the correct number for your motor or not. You may wish to contact a Honda dealer in your region and be sure to give them the serial number off the side of the engine so they can find the correct parts.

Best of luck; just ask if you have other questions.

dougone

Forum Newbie
Threads
Robert,

What size flywheel puller do I need? I believe I need a 2 prong 8 inch gear puller - is this correct?

If you can post a link to a puller that you know works, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Doug

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Robert,

What size flywheel puller do I need? I believe I need a 2 prong 8 inch gear puller - is this correct?

If you can post a link to a puller that you know works, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Doug

Here are the images from the shop manual, and it does look like a 2-jaw, probably 8-inch type:

pullerk8_zpse5e2736e.jpg

pullerk9_zpsd8945c3e.jpg

Google the P/N gets this link @ amazon: Amazon.com: OTC 1035 7-Ton Grip-O-Matic 2-Jaw Reversible Puller: Automotive

OTC-1035.jpg

dougone

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Robert,

Great stuff. Thanks buddy.

As they say in Australia "You're the Bees Knees"!

:thumbsup:

Cheers

Doug