Help needed from over the pond.....

Ainsley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

I own a large tournament paintball site in the UK with 5 "fields" all of which are flat grass (and then surrounding areas like carpark (also grass etc) which in total is around 5/6 acres.

This season, we've used a small simplicity regent to cut each field (each field is about half an acre), and had a friend of mine who owns a Diesel Bad boy come to cut the carpark/surrounding areas. In the off season, we're looking to buy something bigger to save on time and give a better finish. We need some element of manoeuvrability (so thinking zero turn) as sometimes we do cut around the "bunkers" we have on the playing fields and around each field we have steel posts/water pipes/netting all to avoid (see pics). Aside from the carpark, it's more a combination of small half acres rather than one big area to go at.

The fields are fairly flat (we are doing more work with rollers etc in the off season to get them even better), but the main factor is cutting our time down on the mower each week and keeping the fields looking great all year. We have access to red diesel, and our budget is around $5k.

Being in the UK we're limited to what we have - Toro, Scab and JD are readily available, but being in the paintball industry, I can get containers over to ship mowers from the US if needed.......then the only problem is sourcing parts if anything goes down.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ainsley

Attachments

• 1005306_673188362694810_911269237_n.jpg
    1005306_673188362694810_911269237_n.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 62312_676657445681235_530084067_n.jpg
    62312_676657445681235_530084067_n.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 26

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Was that Scag? No Scabs here.

You would be better served getting a Pro model @ 10k, it will pay out better in the long run.

But Scag, Toro, John Deere are all good choices....

Ainsley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry yes!

There are mowers like this going atm:

Ferris IS1000 zero turn ride on tractor mower 23hp Kawasaki petrol 52" cut 2 cyl | eBay

I'd prefer a diesel for obvious reasons, and willing to spend a little more if the right one comes along.......I just don't want to drop $5k + and have a mower that's not ideal for the task at hand. Reality is, the mower will be used once a week, and then stored in a container, so It's hard to justify spending the extra on a true commercial set up when it's mostly sat indoors.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sorry yes!

There are mowers like this going atm:

Ferris IS1000 zero turn ride on tractor mower 23hp Kawasaki petrol 52" cut 2 cyl | eBay

I'd prefer a diesel for obvious reasons, and willing to spend a little more if the right one comes along.......I just don't want to drop $5k + and have a mower that's not ideal for the task at hand. Reality is, the mower will be used once a week, and then stored in a container, so It's hard to justify spending the extra on a true commercial set up when it's mostly sat indoors.

IMHO, if you are mowing 5-6 acres weekly(it really doesn't matter that it is 1/2 acre times 10 or 12...you are still mowing 5-6 acres/week) you do need a more durable/Commercial ZTR(it's more about what you are mowing with it than where it is stored). And a problem as I see it with someone like me recommending something for $5k is.......is $5k over the pond the same as $5K here in the States????

Threads
IMHO, if you are mowing 5-6 acres weekly(it really doesn't matter that it is 1/2 acre times 10 or 12...you are still mowing 5-6 acres/week) you do need a more durable/Commercial ZTR(it's more about what you are mowing with it than where it is stored). And a problem as I see it with someone like me recommending something for $5k is.......is $5k over the pond the same as $5K here in the States????

I don't think so. :frown: At least for push mowers.....a similar Honda mower to the one I have in the UK is 1050 Euros, which is 1,426 US dollars.....for a push mower!

Ainsley

Forum Newbie
Threads
I suppose we'd spend around 」4k tops which equates to around $6.5k US.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I suppose we'd spend around 」4k tops which equates to around $6.5k US.

Sooooo, if we recommended a ZTR that costs $6K-$7K here in the States, it would be in your initial budget allocation? If you are intersted in Toros I consider the Titan MX series(high-end Residential) or the Z-Master 2000 series(entry-level Commercial) as very solid ZTR's for the money. No diesel offering on those models here in the States that I know of though. You almost have to get into the Z-Master 7000(high-end Professional) ZTR's to get the diesel option.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
If I had that much land to cut I would not play with toy tractors, I'd go out and buy myself a MF35 and a set of gang mowers.

Ainsley

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's tempting - but when the nets are up and with the posts all in, it would take just as long with a set of gang mowers and i'd struggle to get into the corners of the fields with the nets up.

Ainsley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sooooo, if we recommended a ZTR that costs $6K-$7K here in the States, it would be in your initial budget allocation? If you are intersted in Toros I consider the Titan MX series(high-end Residential) or the Z-Master 2000 series(entry-level Commercial) as very solid ZTR's for the money. No diesel offering on those models here in the States that I know of though. You almost have to get into the Z-Master 7000(high-end Professional) ZTR's to get the diesel option.

Yes - around $6k/7k US. Will check those out, thanks. Any thoughts on Badboy mowers or the Ferris linked above?