Striping kit for Honda?

homestuff

Threads
Got an HRX217HYA coming, it doesn't seem that Honda makes striping kits themselves for it (odd). What is a good option for this mower that installs easy and won't force me to drill through the deck?

Thanks!

Threads
There are multiple lawn striping kits available. One is called the Lawn Stryper, I think you can still buy it though I'm not sure it's still made.

Amazon.com : Lawn Stryper LM408111G Lawn Striping Pattern System, Green : Patio, Lawn & Garden

There are 2 others I know of:

One is the Toro Lawn Striping System. I am not 100% sure it fits on a Honda HRX, but I thought it did. It is easier to put on and off; it just attaches to the handle, and you can take the separate roller off and on by just lifting it out of a little clip.

Toro | Lawn Striping System (20601)

The other one is made by Big League Lawns. I know this will fit, because the one picture it is shown in has an HRX. But this is not as easy to install. As you can see you have to mount it in 2 holes, but with some mowers you can use the holes that are there for the rear debris guard.

Lawn Striper | Big League Lawns

Just a warning: Honda hasn't done any testing with lawn striping systems so I'm not sure if it would void the warranty.

homestuff

Threads
That's interesting...why isn't Honda in on this at all? Do they have any plans to do so?

Threads
That's interesting...why isn't Honda in on this at all? Do they have any plans to do so?

Maybe Robert@Honda can answer that. :confused3: I would jump on the opportunity to buy one if they ever offered one!

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
edit_zps3e45cf22.jpg

Last edited:

homestuff

Threads
Seems like something that there is some demand for.

Robert - can you say if adding in that Toro version that hangs from the unit would or wouldn't void the warranty?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Robert - can you say if adding in that Toro version that hangs from the unit would or wouldn't void the warranty?

The warranty can't be "voided" as it's a binding legal document between you and Honda. Adding any aftermarket part/accessory or modifying the mower does NOT void the warranty.

That said, the warranty only covers defects in manufacturing and workmanship. The warranty does NOT cover problems caused by aftermarket parts/accessories or modifications to the mower. Example: You install an aftermarket striping kit and it requires drilling into the handlebars. The holes you drilled start to rust, and the handlebar breaks. Repairs would NOT be covered under warranty. Further, let's say you install a striping kit and the recoil starter fails for some reason, but it's obvious it had nothing to do with the striping kit. If the failed starter was found to have a factory defect, it would be repaired under warranty.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Maybe Robert@Honda can answer that. :confused3: I would jump on the opportunity to buy one if they ever offered one!

Based upon Robert's reply I would feel safe adding one of those Toro striper kits to my Honda mower.

Threads
Based upon Robert's reply I would feel safe adding one of those Toro striper kits to my Honda mower.

Yeah....but here's another question for you (Robert). I know the mower can safely handle the weight of a grass bag with grass in it, but I don't bag often. In the summer I do 25-30 lawns a week with it (mulching), so I'm wondering if that many lawns a week with a striping kit would wear down the transmission a lot?

Last edited:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah....but here's another question for you (Robert). I know the mower can safely handle the weight of a grass bag with grass in it, but I don't bag often. In the summer I do 25-30 lawns a week with it (mulching), so I'm wondering if that many lawns a week with a striping kit would wear down the transmission a lot?

To my knowledge, Honda has not done any durability testing of aftermarket striping kits, so there's no firm data to say one way or the other how much more wear or reduced service life from the transmission could happen. Dragging a heavy roller behind the mower will of course put additional load on the engine, belt, transmission, etc., but without some extended hours testing and measuring very closely both a modified and stock mower in the same environment, , it's anybody's guess how much more wear-n-tear will occur on any of those parts.