Newb and the Challenge

shadco

Threads
I'm new first post.

I've been lurking for a while, scratching my head and trying to figure out what to get.

Here's the Challenge, we just bought this place

152416596.png

2 acres of nice tall fescue in NC. It comes with a 17 zone irrigation system and a 100 gal per minute well.

I'm trying to figure out which mower to get.

I've kind of narrowed it down to these

Simplicity Champion XT 50" deck 27 HP B&S (or what ever they replace it with for next year) Solid dealer $5600

Scag Freedom Z 52" deck 27 HP B&S Solid dealer $6300

Scag Tiger Cat 48" deck 27 HP B&S (0nly new left over I can find in my area) Solid dealer probably overkill. $7200

I'm also thinking about a Simpicity Citation XT as a possibility $6230

Hustler Fastrack Super Duty 54" deck Kawa (50 hour demo) $5700 OK dealer

Am I in the right ballpark?

Should I be looking at lower end units"

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
You're obviously looking for quality, if the extra 10% paid up front isn't a huge deal to you I'd say go with the Scag tiger cat. I run dixie choppers commercially but i honestly think the scag mowers could possibly be the best cutting mower on the market. Scags are also built to last a lifetime. I've demoed them and they are very solid machines.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm new first post.

I've been lurking for a while, scratching my head and trying to figure out what to get.

View attachment 17483

2 acres of nice tall fescue in NC. It comes with a 17 zone irrigation system and a 100 gal per minute well.

Simplicity Champion XT 50" deck 27 HP B&S (or what ever they replace it with for next year) Solid dealer $5600

Scag Tiger Cat 48" deck 27 HP B&S (0nly new left over I can find in my area) Solid dealer probably overkill. $7200

I agree with user TaskForceLawnCare that you need to invest in an entry-level Commercial ZTR in the price range of the Scag Tiger Cub. All the brands you listed are good machines, but I would recommend trying to get a 52"-60" deck minimum(and the Tiger Cat is kinda pricey....for just a 48" cut). The Hustler FasTrak SD is very good for that price, but is still considered by Hustler as a Residential model(but would get the job done). You may want to see what it would run you to step up to the Hustler Super Z(which is definitely a Commercial ZTR). If you ask around, the Kawasaki engines are regarded as the most reliable small engines on the market right now and I would recommend you try to get one. Right now, with Fall Sale prices, you can get into a Pro Turn 152 for around $7,500 if you have a Gravely dealer nearby and from personal experience I can recommend them as worthy to add to the mix. Here's a link if you want to compare their specs to the others you are looking at:

http://www.gravely.com/en-us/SeriesDownloads/SellSheet_ProTurn100.pdf

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm new first post.

17483-newb-challenge-152416596-png

JMO but out of the mowers you mentioned the Hustler Super duty demo for 5700$ is the best choice. It's a heavy-duty, 7-gauge deck, also runs the 18400 BTS. It has commercial hydrostatic 3100 transmissions and has commercial duty sealed deck spindles, and with the Kawasaki FX730 engine you can't get much more commercial than that. It's the best buy for the money and would take care of your 2 acres without any problem what so ever.

shadco

Threads
JMO but out of the mowers you mentioned the Hustler Super duty demo for 5700$ is the best choice. It's a heavy-duty, 7-gauge deck, also runs the 18400 BTS. It has commercial hydrostatic 3100 transmissions and has commercial duty sealed deck spindles, and with the Kawasaki FX730 engine you can't get much more commercial than that. It's the best buy for the money and would take care of your 2 acres without any problem what so ever.

Thanks for your input

Based on what I've read on the internet :confused2:

Both the ICD deck on the Simplicity, and the velocity deck on the Scag Tiger Cat produce a better cut than the Hustler deck but what do I know. Both of those also have heavier duty transmissions than the 3100's found on the Hustler. Both of those have B&S engines compared to the Hustler but with a duty requirement of around 50 hours per year and not being used in tough environmenta; conditions leads me to think that engine should be sufficient with the cyclone air filter.

Threads
I'd be careful, though, around the hill on the right side of the picture (behind the tree). It's hard to tell, but it looks fairly steep. The ROPS might hit the tree branches, but I would not take it off!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for your input

Both the ICD deck on the Simplicity, and the velocity deck on the Scag Tiger Cat produce a better cut than the Hustler deck but what do I know. Both of those also have heavier duty transmissions than the 3100's found on the Hustler. Both of those have B&S engines compared to the Hustler but with a duty requirement of around 50 hours per year and not being used in tough environmenta; conditions leads me to think that engine should be sufficient with the cyclone air filter.

Your doing the right thing getting informed before making a purchase!!! I considered a Bad Boy Outlaw with the Briggs Commercial Cyclonic filter system, but the Kawasaki FX series engines with the Donaldson air filtration are in my opinion the best. My mechanic(and his son) both have Simplicity ZTR's(one with 60 hours and one with 600) and they both love them. And the Scags, which are a dominant brand in the Commercial mowing industry by all means have a great cut(but in my opinion a little pricey for what you get). Like I recommended before, you should look at the Hustler Super Z which will have the step-up model commercial trannies with separate pumps and wheel motors(although most will agree the HydroGear 3100's are Commercial rated). It's all about what you are willing to spend in realtionship to the Commercial/Industrial grade components that are most important to you.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for your input

Yeah you can read a lot on the internet but that doesn't mean it's all true. Everybody will have an opinion and the Hustler is mine. Now what I'm saying now is not meant sarcastically but I'd never own a Briggs and Stratton engine on a zero turn or small mower if I had a choice or a Simplicity product. If your looking for a mower and deck with the best cut, you don't have it listed and that would be the Toro with the Turbo Force Deck and the Toro Z Master will out cut anything you have listed and if you like your back I'd go with the Toro Grandstand 52 or 60" I can guarantee you can use it all day long, park it and walk away and not hurt, it also has the best cut of any mower I've ever used and I use mine 6 days a week 5-6 hours a day. But Hey just my opinion.

Last edited:

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
Demo them most dealers will have a demo model you can try out. Honestly purchase whatever feels right for you then decide how much you're willing to spend on that right mower. I'm looking a switching my 2 dixie choppers out for 2 61" kaw powered tiger cats. I wouldn't recommend anything I'm not willing to use commercially.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah you can read a lot on the internet but that doesn't mean it's all true. Everybody will have an opinion and the Hustler is mine. Now what I'm saying now is not meant sarcastically but I'd never own a Briggs and Stratton engine on a zero turn or small mower if I had a choice or a Simplicity product. If your looking for a mower and deck with the best cut, you don't have it listed and that would be the Toro with the Turbo Force Deck and the Toro Z Master will out cut anything you have listed and if you like your back I'd go with the Toro Grandstand 52 or 60" I can guarantee you can use it all day long, park it and walk away and not hurt, it also has the best cut of any mower I've ever used and I use mine 6 days a week 5-6 hours a day. But Hey just my opinion.

Yep, I too am a little leary of Simplicity, Ferris & Snapper(all now made by Briggs & Stratton) and I almost pulled the string last fall on a Toro Z-Master(2000 series, but would really prefer the Industrial grade 3000 series). User Ric is right..the Z-Master will hold it's own with any Commercial/Industrial grade ZTR you run next to it!! I got an exceptional end-of-season deal on my 2012 Gravely Pro-Turn 100XDZ(approx. $1k off MSRP out-the-door and the 2013's went up $500). Believe me, the Gravely is all a homeowner, like you or myself, would ever need. Check one out and demo it and I think you'll agree. And just like "researching the Internet" you will always get some bias on forums like this(particularly when most of us are very happy with what we purchased). Like mentioned by user TaskForceLawn, demo them and get a first-hand look; compare the components, build and warranty for the price....and never underestimate the importance of the feel and reputation of the dealer which is VERY important long-term!!!