Snapper Factory Tour 1970's

cashman

Threads
Here are a few pics of a Snapper Dealers factory tour in the 1970's. Factory tours were really neat and they sometimes rolled out the red carpet. The host for this tour was Joe H. Brady and Assoc. of Birmingham AL. There were some great people in that organization and this was Snapper in their hay-day.

Part of the dealers group as we unloaded from the busses. A lot of these people had been in the lawnmower business a long time.

Probably 150 people were on this tour and they fed us steaks cooked in the ground.

Joe Brady Jr. addresses the group. Wanting that "Spring Order"! This was shortly after Snapper had bought the Massey garden tractor line and Joe H. Brady had bought out Merry Tiller.

Here are parts on their way to the paint vat. All the parts were assembled and ran through a dip vat to paint

A worker assembling the transmissions

Final assembly area

Blade stop check. There was a machine that recorded the serial number and a tachometer that measured engine RPM's and how long it took the blade to stop after it was disengaged. From here the mower went an area where the it was crated up to be shipped out.

Thanks for watching!!!

Last edited:
Threads
Those are some great pictures showing one of the best mower brands of that time!

Mow Joe

Threads
Our family had a Snapper dealership from 76 til the mid 90s. That would have been cool to go through the factory, but we never had the opportunity. We were also a White dealer and did get to go through the MTD plant in Cleveland where they were building Whites and Cub Cadets...pretty cool.

I wonder what the deal was with the cowboy hats?

cashman

Threads
They gave everyone a cowboy hat that had the snappin turtle on it. Don't know what happened to mine? I went on a couple of dealer trips to Snapper. One time we stayed the night at Callaway Gardens. I went through McDonough a couple years ago and went by the factory, All it says now is Briggs and Stratton plant number so and so. Thanks!!!

Tommyboyxd

Threads
Have you gentlemen ever thought of writing a history of the Snapper mower book?

cashman

Threads
Still some people around that could tell some stories about Snapper. Let's ask?

Tommyboyxd

Threads
I got my first Snapper in May and since then I have been looking around on the internet for history on the Snapper brand. you (Cashman) and Moe Joe, have been some of the best info I've seen. :)

Snapperfreak

Threads
This is just too cool. Quality machinery being made in the USA. Some things just didn't need to be improved on and the classic Snappers was one of them, if they were still beig made as they were in the '70s and '80s that would be perfect. I guess I can't live in the past but I know I'll never buy a new Snapper again.