Need advice on what type of walk behind to buy!

bsmith

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have had a lawn and landscape company for one year now and it is time to buy a walk behind. I currently have a Scag 52" and Exmark 52" ZTR and have been making do with a push mower for those tight back yards. I am wondering what brand, style, and cutting deck size is best for a quality walk behind mower that isn't overly pricy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I don't know much at all about walk behinds.
Thanks

briggs

Threads
Honda is the way to go they are tough and one of the best they are well worth the money trust me ....I fix all sorts of mowers and most of them are those cheap things u buy ...I get Hondas come in and most of the time its just for a tune up ......:thumbsup:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
90% of the landscapers in this area go with the Toro Super Recyclers. You can bag, mulch or side discharge depending on the situation.

Threads
90% of the pros here use Honda's. But I'm pretty sure whether you get a Honda or a Toro you will be happy with it, because they both make great walk behinds. In July 2012 I bought a Honda HRX217HYA and have been thrilled with it. In the peak of the season I was using it on 25 or even sometimes close to 30 lawns a week. It has NEVER let me down! The cut is great...mulching or bagging. I love that it can go up to 4 mph, and it has a great cut going that fast. The deck is made out of NeXite, a material that is similar to what is used in car bumpers. It won't rust, is super durable, and I don't need to clean it as much as a metal deck. It also has a blade brake clutch, so you can stop the blades without stopping the engine. I would recommend looking at both Honda and Toro mowers, and seeing which one you like best. Let us know what you decide! :smile:

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/honda-forum/16238-review-my-honda-hrx217hya.html

lchiefan

Forum Newbie
Threads
the best and only one I will use is a snapper hivac commercial with a robin 2 stroke , 2nd would be a toro with the same motor. but the snapper is like using a vacuum with that motor, even will bag a big pile of leaves.

bsmith

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all of the advice. To be more specific, I am looking to buy a MIDSIZE walk-behind that will pull a carrier/dolley. I am wondering whether Exmark metro, Scag SW fixed deck, Toro fixed deck gear drive, or another model would be the best purchase. Aslo, would you suggest a 32" deck or 36" deck? Thanks in advance.

lchiefan

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have had a lawn and landscape company for one year now and it is time to buy a walk behind. I currently have a Scag 52" and Exmark 52" ZTR and have been making do with a push mower for those tight back yards. I am wondering what brand, style, and cutting deck size is best for a quality walk behind mower that isn't overly pricy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I don't know much at all about walk behinds.
Thanks

We had a deere, worked well, but if scag makes one that is what I would buy. although I am finished with kohler and briggs motors. a scag with a robin or Kawasaki, Honda,onan. if poss. also, a 32" would get through more gates. good luck

Threads
Thanks for all of the advice. To be more specific, I am looking to buy a MIDSIZE walk-behind that will pull a carrier/dolley. I am wondering whether Exmark metro, Scag SW fixed deck, Toro fixed deck gear drive, or another model would be the best purchase. Aslo, would you suggest a 32" deck or 36" deck? Thanks in advance.

If you have any gates a 32" might be better, like was suggested. But I think any of the brands would be good...best thing you can do is demo them. :smile:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks

I really don't know what type of yards you're talking about or how tight of an area you're talking about cutting are but I personally don't see the need to carry two 52" ztr's. I'd sell one of them and replace it with the Exmark Vantage or the Toro Grandstand 36" cut for your tight areas, with one of those you would have your walk behind for your tight areas plus the advantage of a zero turn. You'll increase your trailer space plus you'll increase your productivity over push mower and the Metro your thinking about. Again for a tight area you do not want a gear drive walk behind, been there done that and trust me they are a PITA.