Trying to decide, Cub Cadet LT 1045 vs John Deere D130

PickyBiker

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Trying to decide, Cub Cadet LT 1045 vs John Deere D130
Does anyone have any experience with these two lawn tractors. I can't seem to make up my mind. As far as price, the JD is a $100 more, but which one is better or more reliable? My current mower is a JD X300 with a bad transmission... Makes me a little weary of the JD, but I know anybody's machine can break down.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does anyone have any experience with these two lawn tractors. I can't seem to make up my mind. As far as price, the JD is a $100 more, but which one is better or more reliable? My current mower is a JD X300 with a bad transmission... Makes me a little weary of the JD, but I know anybody's machine can break down.

It is well known that I do not like junk Deere.
I have a cub cadet that I put threw hell I run it hard and as fast as it will go.
For the money your going to get more mower with the cub.
If you go look at the JD threads on here you will see all the problems people have with them like the transmission.

I will tell anyone that in the price range your spending the cub is the best buy over any other mower

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Unfortunately you are paying for the name and not the reliability with a John Deere.

MBDiagMan

Threads
With the big box store JD residential versions, the previous comments might be correct. With the true commercial versions, those comments seem to be way off from what I've seen. The commercial JD's are not only known for their durability, but they also have a reputation for giving a beautiful cut.

I have a Cub Cadet 1045 that I bought new in the early nineties, I think it was 1992. I used it a LOT for the first 10 years or so, but have not used it much since then, but it still runs great.

That said, I expect that the new version is quite different so I'm not sure what my testimony is worth.

Larry

possum

Threads
Your testimony is worth the same as any other persons is. Those green tractors from the big box stores are well liked. There are quite a few around here as you get near the towns with big box stores. The cheaper Cubs are mostly sold through tractor Supply here abouts and are just as well liked as the green stuff is. The biggest and most common complaint in recent years I see on the Cubs is those with the cheap Courage single cylinder engines. Some folks run those things long and hard and are very happy with them. Others, they shell out or crack the blocks with low hours and they are not pleased to have a newish mower without an engine. The most important reason to buy one over the other is the service you can get if you need it.

MBDiagMan

Threads
Btw, I am not sure how similar my old 1045 is to those currently being sold.

Mine has hydrostatic drive and a 14HP Onan engine. Onans are designed for constant speed operation such as in generators so it is well suited for the purpose.

This all makes me curious. About the layout of the current 1045.

Larry

possum

Threads
Well let your fingers do some walking as Cub has a fine site on the internet. One thing is for sure it does not have an Onan engine.

Howdy Doody

Threads
Well let your fingers do some walking as Cub has a fine site on the internet. One thing is for sure it does not have an Onan engine.

The LTX1042KW has a 18 HP "professional-grade" Kawasaki V-Twin engine. The cub has a 12 gauge deck too versus 13 gauge in the D series JD.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you buy the Cub you will be buying a MTD. You might just as well look at some other brands also see it will be the same tractor only different color. You might save a few $s.

Howdy Doody

Threads

I am also in the same situation as you and trying to decide which one of the two is best. I must admit that I too have been "hypnotized" by the green and yellow, but thanks to help from our LMF guys I am having a hard second look at the Cub Cadet. I have to admit that the Cub looks better on paper and the Kawasaki engine and the 9 gauge frame might just change my mind. I would love to go ride both and see how they ride.