What does the EVAP Canister actually do?

alexhammer

Threads
I've just recently bought a Snapper Pro S150xt. Im wondering what the EVAP Canisters actually do? My dealer didn't really explain them to me. Here are two pictures I took of them (I have to fuel tanks one the mower and each tank has a canister this is just one they are both alike)

image-4145779038.jpg

image-1657715804.jpg

Malcolm Rypauf

Forum Newbie
Threads
The canister (actually a charcoal canister) is an evaporative emissions control device. That is, it catches the fumes from the gas evaporating in the fuel tank and then at controlled times, feeds them into the engines intake so they are burnt up and not allowed to escape into the atmosphere.:smile:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't know how old you are, but you may remember the coffee can under the hood of late 70's and into the 80's vehicles, that is a EVAP canister. The previous poster is correct on how it works and what it does. Just don't overfill the tank and allow raw fuel to get into the canister or you will be replacing it.

afoulk

Threads
Wow, so they are putting these on mowers now huh? When did they start doing that?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Required as of 2011 or 2012. have to have evap canisters, low perm fuel line, non vented fuel caps, florinated fuel tanks if plastic. The extra tall caps you are seeing on the new push mowers have the charcoal canister in the cap.

have seen two evap canisters flooded by raw fuel in the past year. Totally destroys them. supposedly it makes a solid brick out of the charcoal, so it can't vent. I believe some of the new riders don't have an evap canister, but there is a line hooked from the fuel tank to the low vacuum side of the intake, therefore the fuel tank actually operates under a vacuum.

Some are set up to where as you use fuel from the tank, the resulting vacuum pulls the fumes back out of the canister. On others the intake vacuum pulls the fumes out of the canister and are burnt in the engine.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Mine has the vac hose in the top of the tank hooks to the intake.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

phcaan

Threads
Required as of 2011 or 2012. have to have evap canisters, low perm fuel line, non vented fuel caps, florinated fuel tanks if plastic. The extra tall caps you are seeing on the new push mowers have the charcoal canister in the cap.

have seen two evap canisters flooded by raw fuel in the past year. Totally destroys them. supposedly it makes a solid brick out of the charcoal, so it can't vent. I believe some of the new riders don't have an evap canister, but there is a line hooked from the fuel tank to the low vacuum side of the intake, therefore the fuel tank actually operates under a vacuum.

Some are set up to where as you use fuel from the tank, the resulting vacuum pulls the fumes back out of the canister. On others the intake vacuum pulls the fumes out of the canister and are burnt in the engine.
Sounds like something that would better serve in the trash can.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like something that would better serve in the trash can.

Agreed I would probably bypass it if I had one good thing I dont

Brucebotti

Threads
I guess its a sign of the times. I believe I read somewhere that even a small push lawn mower gives off more pollutants than a new car.

One interesting sidenote to show how far we have come. I read an article in AutoWeek when Ford came out with the new Boss 302. They said that a 1969 stock Boss 302 just sitting (not running), gave off more pollutants than 200 new Boss 302's driving at 55mph. It's amazing what can be done with modern technology and electronics. I'm sure this is all coming to the lawn mower world eventually (the canister is the start). This will make it more difficult for us old timers to diagnose and repair problems...:smile:

Bruce

Thepogo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can the EVAP be bypassed?