Lawn Mower caught on fire

johnnydoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an old Toro 62" (about 16 years old) Z Turn.
The muffler rusted out and came loose from the engine so I just wired it up the best I could. Its been fine that way for awhile..but the last time I mowed it wouldn't start up and I kept cranking and cranking and then the whole back end (muffler) caught on fire. I put it out and yesterday tried to start it again...same thing happened (i was ready for the fire) but before it caught on fire, I noticed that gas was shooting out a little onto the muffler (cause it ain't attached right? mm hmmm)

My question is...is this a carburetor issue or a muffler issue or both...I know it is a piece of squid but hey...I need to mow and I can't afford to pay someone to fix it or buy another mower ( got 4 acres)...so...any help would be great. Any recommendations? I pondered the idea of using a bunch of JB Weld to seal up around where the muffler isn't connected to the motor...what do you think about that?
Thanks

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would say the first thing is to find the gas leak. Maybe a bad fuel hose? If you can't afford a replacement muffler they make cheap universal mufflers.

Rokon

Threads
I was hoping for a picture...:smiley_aafz:

johnnydoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would say the first thing is to find the gas leak. Maybe a bad fuel hose? If you can't afford a replacement muffler they make cheap universal mufflers.

Thanks...I'll check into that...I'll check for a replacement muffler as well.

I was hoping for a picture...
Sorry Rokon,
I'll keep my camera handy next time I set it on fire...hell...I might set it on fire and take a picture just for you...then again..probably not...my luck I'd set myself on fire and that wouldn't be a pretty picture at all...

Rokon

Threads
Thanks...I'll check into that...I'll check for a replacement muffler as well.

Sorry Rokon,
I'll keep my camera handy next time I set it on fire...hell...I might set it on fire and take a picture just for you...then again..probably not...my luck I'd set myself on fire and that wouldn't be a pretty picture at all...

That could make a scene in the new 'Dumb and Dumber To' movie. :thumbsup:

briggs

Threads
I have an old Toro 62" (about 16 years old) Z Turn.
The muffler rusted out and came loose from the engine so I just wired it up the best I could. Its been fine that way for awhile..but the last time I mowed it wouldn't start up and I kept cranking and cranking and then the whole back end (muffler) caught on fire. I put it out and yesterday tried to start it again...same thing happened (i was ready for the fire) but before it caught on fire, I noticed that gas was shooting out a little onto the muffler (cause it ain't attached right? mm hmmm)

My question is...is this a carburetor issue or a muffler issue or both...I know it is a piece of squid but hey...I need to mow and I can't afford to pay someone to fix it or buy another mower ( got 4 acres)...so...any help would be great. Any recommendations? I pondered the idea of using a bunch of JB Weld to seal up around where the muffler isn't connected to the motor...what do you think about that?
Thanks

could be a carb issue also if the fuel is leaking by the needle