Future of Lawn-Boy parts availability?

cgallery

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 10247 two-cyclone push mower. My original reason for going with this mower is I like the chute/bag style. I have a small lot and I use it for fall leaf clean-up, it is awesome.

It hasn't been quite as reliable as I'd have hoped. The mower it replaced (I purchased the Lawn-Boy new) was a used home-center cheapie w/ Briggs and Stratton engine. It was already seven or eight years old when by dad gave it to me, and I used it for a few years, and we never had a problem w/ it.

The 2nd season after getting the 10247 it seemed like it was running a bit rougher. Any extra gas left in the tank leaked out the muffler if the unit was stored for a day or two. The automatic throttle vane tended to get stuck. Right after warranty it wouldn't start and I took it in and was told the coil had to be replaced.

But I still like it a lot. And I've owned it for about 10 years now, and I've done some work on it myself (for example, I replaced the float and needle to prevent the tank draining through the muffler if it sits.

The last few weeks have been dry and the grass hasn't done much. So I went to start the mower today and found the primer bulb was split. I thought it would be a good time to add a cutoff to the fuel line (it still drains the tank very slowly after the float/needle replacement), replace the spring on the throttle vane (it broke and I previously bent it into shape), and obviously install a new primer bulb.

I started taking things apart and ripped the gasket on the float bowl chamber (dumb). I went to my local parts depot and they had everything I needed but the gasket (figures).

But the thing that stunned me was this depot, where I had purchased the mower, had no green mowers for sale. Only red (Toro). Apparently Lawn-Boy is now a home-center brand, there are no two-stroke engines (I had known those were going away because of emissions standards), the Lawn-Boy product line I somewhat knew and with which I had a love/hate relationship, is gone.

So I got to thinking, what is the future of Lawn-Boy parts? If the gov't doesn't want two-cycle engines sold, will they mandate against parts availability? What about the oil I add to the gas, how long will I be able to find that?

Anyone care to comment?

Also, did Lawn-Boy ever make a four-stoke unit that will handle the same type of rear-bag with big black chute as my 10247, that didn't have self-propel? I'd keep my eyes open for one of those, if they made one, on Craigslist. My lot is small, I really don't want self-propel. I do know they made a unit w/ self-propel because I already found one of those.

Well anyhow, thanks for listening to me ramble.

briggs

Threads
I have a 10247 two-cyclone push mower. My original reason for going with this mower is I like the chute/bag style. I have a small lot and I use it for fall leaf clean-up, it is awesome.

It hasn't been quite as reliable as I'd have hoped. The mower it replaced (I purchased the Lawn-Boy new) was a used home-center cheapie w/ Briggs and Stratton engine. It was already seven or eight years old when by dad gave it to me, and I used it for a few years, and we never had a problem w/ it.

The 2nd season after getting the 10247 it seemed like it was running a bit rougher. Any extra gas left in the tank leaked out the muffler if the unit was stored for a day or two. The automatic throttle vane tended to get stuck. Right after warranty it wouldn't start and I took it in and was told the coil had to be replaced.

But I still like it a lot. And I've owned it for about 10 years now, and I've done some work on it myself (for example, I replaced the float and needle to prevent the tank draining through the muffler if it sits.

The last few weeks have been dry and the grass hasn't done much. So I went to start the mower today and found the primer bulb was split. I thought it would be a good time to add a cutoff to the fuel line (it still drains the tank very slowly after the float/needle replacement), replace the spring on the throttle vane (it broke and I previously bent it into shape), and obviously install a new primer bulb.

I started taking things apart and ripped the gasket on the float bowl chamber (dumb). I went to my local parts depot and they had everything I needed but the gasket (figures).

But the thing that stunned me was this depot, where I had purchased the mower, had no green mowers for sale. Only red (Toro). Apparently Lawn-Boy is now a home-center brand, there are no two-stroke engines (I had known those were going away because of emissions standards), the Lawn-Boy product line I somewhat knew and with which I had a love/hate relationship, is gone.

So I got to thinking, what is the future of Lawn-Boy parts? If the gov't doesn't want two-cycle engines sold, will they mandate against parts availability? What about the oil I add to the gas, how long will I be able to find that?

Anyone care to comment?

Also, did Lawn-Boy ever make a four-stoke unit that will handle the same type of rear-bag with big black chute as my 10247, that didn't have self-propel? I'd keep my eyes open for one of those, if they made one, on Craigslist. My lot is small, I really don't want self-propel. I do know they made a unit w/ self-propel because I already found one of those.

Well anyhow, thanks for listening to me ramble.

Lawnboy uses Honda and Briggs 4 strokes now on there EQ ..The days of the 2 stroke are pretty much done ...U will be able to get parts for awhile tho as there was tons made

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Parts can be found here and there on Ebay, websites, etc. As for gaskets, you can probably use RTV sealant. I use it and it works great!

I have a 1992 Lawn-Boy with a side discharge bag and it is 4 cycle.