Are you addicted to the internet?

LittleRed

Threads
My service thankfully doesn't cost anywhere near that much. I have a group plan for the family and it costs around $50 a month for us, but I heard tell that my plan may soon be obsolete. I'm not looking forward to finding a new one!

mois25

Threads
I am pretty much addicted to the internet. I get so much disappointed when it is slow or disconnected. It is still healthy to love the net, as long the addiction bit is not overdone.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am pretty much addicted to the internet. I get so much disappointed when it is slow or disconnected. It is still healthy to love the net, as long the addiction bit is not overdone.

If you had a Blackberry, you would understand why they are nicknamed "Crackberries" because when I lose my service for email (rarely) or cannot access Google thru the browser I get very upset. It has reached the point when I go to a Goodwill store and find something I might want to buy, I immediately Google search to see what other places are selling the same thing for...THAT IS TRUE ADDICTION !!!! :laughing::laughing:

abeja_reina_1989

Threads
With taxes, unlimited Blackberry service (data, internet, SMS, Blackberry Messenger, etc) runs me about $53 a month using Verizon. My hearing is so poor I cannot use a regular phone which is why I don't have a calling plan on it, which would be another $30 or so. At home, AOL monthly service is $13 a month, having a landline to use the DSL (another $30 a month) costs about $50. Anybody that is willing to pay the inane sum of nearly $150 a month for data and e-mail MUST be addicted...ALMOST FIVE BUCKS A DAY...!!!:confused2::eek:
If you think about it though, $5 a day is what some people spend on coffees alone, so it could be worse. Seriously though, technology makes people crazy. It's hard for me to go without my computer or my phone. They're like my security blankets lol:confused2:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you think about it though, $5 a day is what some people spend on coffees alone, so it could be worse. Seriously though, technology makes people crazy. It's hard for me to go without my computer or my phone. They're like my security blankets lol:confused2:

The weird thing is, back in the middle 80's, only 25 years ago, we had no cell phones, no Internet, no Blackberries or Iphones, no fast, high speed computers, no DSL, no Google, no Twitter, no Facebook, etc. And we managed to do just fine without them, didn't we??? :confused2:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
The weird thing is, back in the middle 80's, only 25 years ago, we had no cell phones, no Internet, no Blackberries or Iphones, no fast, high speed computers, no DSL, no Google, no Twitter, no Facebook, etc. And we managed to do just fine without them, didn't we??? :confused2:

Actually, it was 1984 or '85 when I started using email. Not really the internet (although I could connect to it) but I used CompuServe -- text only, very slow dial-up. It was good for news and email. The Usenet was around back then but not the world wide web.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
And we managed to do just fine without them, didn't we?

Well, we 'got by' with what was available... Just like the kids of today are getting by with what is here now.
25 years in the future, in the year 2036, a look back is going to show how lacking broadband and "high speed access will look rather primitive...
Every generation is benefiting from tech developments... the general & specific knowledge that todays college graduates have, is incredible compared to 20 to 40 years ago... and I can only guess at where they will be in another 20 to 40...
Everyone is getting by with what is available... For the last 100 years or so the rate that things are getting "better" is accelerating.
Like they say it is an exciting time to be alive...
I think anyone that has introduced themselves to what they can accomplish and discover using the internet, would have to be 'addicted'... the genie will never fit back in the bottle ... :smile:KennyV

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I found interesting this New York Times article about how the Egyptian government was able to shut off the internet during the recent protests. It didn't work in terms of stifling the protests but network technicians are continuing to puzzle over exactly how it was done.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I found interesting this New York Times article about how the Egyptian government was able to shut off the internet during the recent protests. It didn't work in terms of stifling the protests but network technicians are continuing to puzzle over exactly how it was done.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's actually scary for security reasons.

And my gosh, how would I play Texas Hold'em.