No Start: HRX217VKA and solution

GregGA

Threads
I went to cold start my 10 hour total time Honda HRX, and guess what? Nada, ZIP. No start in 10 pulls. It had run and started fine in the last month.

I have a shop manual and used their check list to find the problem. These mowers have an ACS, automatic Choke sytem.
There are two parts: the choke butterfly in the carburetor, and the choke control assembly. The choke butterfly was free and snapped back when the lever was pushed. The choke control assembly appeared to not move very easily, so I used dry lube, and after I did this, it moved freely and snapped back after the spring tension was used to test it.

Luckily, the manual is well illustrated, and I got it all back together. Pulled the cord one time and BINGO, she fired right up.:thumbsup: I mowed for about 40 minutes, shut it down, and came back in 5 hours to test when cool. One pull, and it started. Mowed some more. Shut it down, and no problem on a hot start.

I am going to add checking the ACS to my service schedule. I'm glad this was an easy fix, and I'm glad I bought the shop manual.

CFmaster

Forum Newbie
Threads
And I'm glad you posted this...it will help people! :smile:

Good morning, I have the same mower with an identical problem! Mine has even less time on it. Would it be possible to post the proceedure for testing and or photos of the auto choke system? I WOULD PURCHASE THE SERVICE MANUAL IF I COULD FIND A PART#.

Thanks again and wishing everyone a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Tim

GregGA

Threads
Good morning, I have the same mower with an identical problem! Mine has even less time on it. Would it be possible to post the proceedure for testing and or photos of the auto choke system? I WOULD PURCHASE THE SERVICE MANUAL IF I COULD FIND A PART#.

Thanks again and wishing everyone a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Tim

Hey Tim. I got the shop manual off of Honda's ebay site: Hondapepub is the seller name. It comes from Alpharetta, GA and shipped out the next business day.

There really was no testing procedure that I used. Once you remove the air cleaner cover and element, you will see two bolts. Remove those, and pay attention as you remove the parts. The manual has a diagram showing the parts and gaskets. The carb comes off, but the linkage stays connected. Not rocket science, but pay attention to the order as you remove them. You will see how the choke moves once you get everything apart. I just noticed it was not snapping back under spring pressure, and lubed it.

I recommend the manual. It was about $35, and helped me solve the problem without taking the mower back to a dealer. I wish they would check the ACS better before they ship the mower.

Mine has been fine since the removal. Starts first pull. I am still using the mower to mulch leaves, and that is creating a lot of dust. Before Spring, I will probably pull everything off and lube the linkage.

Once you check yours, please let us know if you had the same problem.

CFmaster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Tim. I got the shop manual off of Honda's ebay site: Hondapepub is the seller name. It comes from Alpharetta, GA and shipped out the next business day.

There really was no testing procedure that I used. Once you remove the air cleaner cover and element, you will see two bolts. Remove those, and pay attention as you remove the parts. The manual has a diagram showing the parts and gaskets. The carb comes off, but the linkage stays connected. Not rocket science, but pay attention to the order as you remove them. You will see how the choke moves once you get everything apart. I just noticed it was not snapping back under spring pressure, and lubed it.

I recommend the manual. It was about $35, and helped me solve the problem without taking the mower back to a dealer. I wish they would check the ACS better before they ship the mower.

Mine has been fine since the removal. Starts first pull. I am still using the mower to mulch leaves, and that is creating a lot of dust. Before Spring, I will probably pull everything off and lube the linkage.

Once you check yours, please let us know if you had the same problem.

Greg, thanks for the quick reply! I ordered the manual tonight and earlier today confirmed the sticking ACH to be the problem. (Definitely Honda could/should improve the system or (go Back to the manual choke)

(As to the carb removal). Took me a 1/2hour to figure out the order of gasket placement as they fell out with the removal of the mounting bolts---- the confusing one was the metal spacer that I finally figured out to be used to replace what used to be the governor bracket

GregGA

Threads
Greg, thanks for the quick reply! I ordered the manual tonight and earlier today confirmed the sticking ACH to be the problem. (Definitely Honda could/should improve the system or (go Back to the manual choke)

(As to the carb removal). Took me a 1/2hour to figure out the order of gasket placement as they fell out with the removal of the mounting bolts---- the confusing one was the metal spacer that I finally figured out to be used to replace what used to be the governor bracket

Tim, when you get the manual, they have a couple of bolts on the diagram that you can buy to keep all the parts in order. You take out a factory bolt, put in the spare, and do the same for the other one. Then everything slides out in order. I ordered them, but have not had to remove anything yet so haven't used them.