slow Snapper quantum xrm 6.5 hp

Michele3918

Forum Newbie
Threads
Take a small flat tipped screwdriver and dig a little into the v of the pulley/disc, I have seen layers of cooked/dried grass
bake in there and that could change your pulley/speed setup.

Ok,
I carefully looked in that area and found absolutely no obstructions. In fact it was cleaner than I had expected.
I'm not sure what to do next.

Thanks,
Michele.

Michele3918

Forum Newbie
Threads
First, I agree with "Fish" about grass build up in the "v-groove" of the drive plate. This happens all the time and will actually change how fast the drive plate spins. It sounds like you cannot get the wheels to slip even on concrete. This indicates that all the belts and pulleys are working like they should. If you could get the wheels to stop by engaging the drive and just holding onto the handles it would tell you either the belts are worn or a spring is off or not adjusted right. Since this is not the case now look at where the drive wheel contacts the drive plate. In "high" the wheel should be on the outermost edge of the drive plate. If not, you can adjust this by sliding the plate that attaches the arm to you selector rod. This plate is held on with one 5/16" bolt. Loosen the bolt and then slide it closer to the drive assy (this will then pull the drive wheel further out).

As suggested, I took a closer look at where the disc meet the plate. To me it's exactly where it's been all alone.
I'm including a couple pics so you can see.

Could one of those plastic pulleys in the drive mechanism (V belt) be worn out?

Thanks,
Michele

Attachments

• i_2013090813581758.jpg
    i_2013090813581758.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 26
  • i_2013090813581768.jpg
    i_2013090813581768.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 22
  • i_2013090813581737.jpg
    i_2013090813581737.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 21

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok,
I carefully looked in that area and found absolutely no obstructions. In fact it was cleaner than I had expected.
I'm not sure what to do next.

Thanks,
Michele.

you looked at the bottom of the plate where the belt rides? No build up under the belt?

How about the other belt, the ribbed one? Is it in good shape and not slipping?

jtk

Threads
Can you send another picture a little closer of tge side view and then again of the drive plate assy? I dont see the idler pully in your pics. There is another spring that places tension between the idler pulley and the belt that goes from the crankshaft and the drive plate. This spring is identical to the one used to place tension on the drive wheel. If it is missing this coukd be the issue.

afoulk

Threads
Can you send another picture a little closer of tge side view and then again of the drive plate assy? I dont see the idler pully in your pics. There is another spring that places tension between the idler pulley and the belt that goes from the crankshaft and the drive plate. This spring is identical to the one used to place tension on the drive wheel. If it is missing this coukd be the issue.

I have a snapper of that vintage and they do not have an idler pulley for the v belt.

RobCS

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the exact same problem with a 1o year old 21" Snapper Ninja mower. Were you ever able to solve the problem? I don't want to invest in a new driven disc, belts, etc. if replacing those didn't help for you.

Last edited:

Michele3918

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the exact same problem with a 1o year old 21" Snapper Ninja mower. Were you ever able to solve the problem? I don't want to invest in a new driven disc, belts, etc. if replacing those didn't help for you.

Sorry to say, no I have not figured out the problem. Have you?
I've lived with it but one of these days I will examine everything again.

4 years later reply...:smile:

Thx.
M.