Ice pick

monica123

Threads
Is there a preference for ice picks? Would my garden edger work to remove ice or do I need an actual ice pick? The ones I have seen look very similar to my edger? What do you think?

173abn

Threads
Hi Monica,I'm not sure what you mean by pick.I'm seeing like a rod with a pointed tip for pick,if you mean like a scrapper then I'm thinking the kind used on car windshields both metal and plastic.what do you intend to use it on?if i'm trying to clear ice on my deck or on the concrete I use a flat nosed shovel,seems to work pretty good. russ

Hershey

Threads
I have never had to use an ice pick myself, and when I think of an ice pick, I am thinking of one of those big things that you bang into the ice to try to separate it. For home, I am using a scrapper.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is there a preference for ice picks? Would my garden edger work to remove ice or do I need an actual ice pick? The ones I have seen look very similar to my edger? What do you think?

Whatever works, will work...I have a very heavy duty ice scraper with a thick steel blade and a D-handle, it is marketed as an ice chopper but most of the use it gets is for removing layers of old roofing material...

monica123

Threads
I guess worse case I can try it and see how it works, worse case, it doesn't work well, it's not that expensive of an investment.

173abn

Threads
monica,I think it'll work AOK. russ

rekees

Threads
It is like a flat shovel with a flat edge. I use it in the garden to edge my garden beds but from what I am seeing, the ones they sell for snow look very similar.

I have one of those and they work very well but labor intensive.

monica123

Threads
The "D" handle is great for those of us who have back issues, it makes it more ergonomic and less hard to use. The husband tried it this morning and it didn't work half bad!